There really are bats in Fargo!

This sad old woman

who just let the bats

out of the cage,

picked up a brush and thought…

will she ever paint again?

She knows not

because the frigid cold

freezes her brain

and all the grain

in all the bins

couldn’t put her

together again.

Her brain runs rampant

with paintings galore

but no one will see them

unless she implores

her will to create

the earthquake to shake

the very foundation

she stands upon.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to There really are bats in Fargo!

Pam, hope you just start. No need to know what, just get your paintbrush in your hand.:heart:Happy New Year Pam 🙂

Carol, I think that's what I'll just have to do….no matter how much or little time there is. I keep thinking….when Mia takes a nap, or when everyone goes out of town, or….whatever. It never happens. I end up going out for a bowl of soup or a latte somewhere or, if it's too cold, staying home and taking a nap. The weather the past month has been so strangely nice hasn't it? Very weird all the people in the grocery stores are saying.

I understand this well. Sometimes the will catches up with the "making me do it"… but, I'm in the other state- just trying to survive.beautiful picture, Pam. the cup of joe looks inviting."her brain runs rampantwith paintings galorebut no one will see themunless she imploresher will to create" I can relate to this.

Pam, I'm sure Mia would love to paint also. :)Yes, the weather has been really weird for this time of year for North Dakota. My daughter says it's freaky and I agree. We should have snow and cold by now.

snow here, and maybe up to a foot… brrrrr… but I love the pristine llok, smell and feel of cold and snow. Pam your faith comes from you and IS as individual as we are (in my mind). Mia sounds like a great painting buddy….No one can take from or change the work you have done, but they can on what you might.Change the reason. I Can relate

6. Frlmnk says:

A little frost here. I'm stalled on multiple fronts for a bit.It might just be I not concentrating on one thing enough but every little success is a step forward.wanna bag o' mud?

7. Frlmnk says:

Hey, I'm rollin' in it!

Got my own now, rotten potholes in a dirt driveway… ehhh, I have been known to play in the mud.

She does stunning work.

Yes I remember some of it from her previous posts but I didn't see this one before.

Pam, is that your painting? I like it :up:

12. cakkleberrylane says:

This post really struck something in me too. I used to paint (watercolors) and keep saying I will go back to it, but there is never, ever the time. I think we just need to force it the first time and then we will recognize how wonderful it is and we will make the time for it.

13. darkesthour says:

The only time there ever is, is the time you make

Sounds like a good idea Pam, to get Mia a paint set and easel and start teaching her to paint. You can get started painting again and have the bonus of teaching your little one to love art. Try it. I liked that poem. I've been stalled for months now.

What a beautiful painting! Hope you are well. Send kisses to Mia :love:

Mia will be one fantastic painter like "nana"as for the poem,lovely."will she paint again? "hell yeah! once a painter,always a painter!:love:

Enjoyed the poem and illustrations. :up:My husband has been telling me details of a science fiction story he'd like to write one day. At this point it has quite a bit of character development and he's made a nice start on the plot. BUT he isn't writing any of it down.

18. darkesthour says:

Originally posted by debplatt:

BUT he isn't writing any of it down

He should keep a diary or something, when you get an idea, write it down..

Originally posted by debplatt:

BUT he isn't writing any of it down.

uh oh

20. Weatherlawyer says:

Hi y'all.Maybe Painter Woman is in a different world now and has yet to acclimatise. Maybe her priorities are different now she has a baby to wonder at and watch.I don't think there is a mad need to rush. When the tot is ready to start painting Pam will be ready with the white emulsion to go over the walls :)Or maybe with other colours and dyes to join in?Think of all the wonderful experiments that will be going on in that house in a few years time. Tie-dying, potato printing, dipped marbling.All the stuff I never got to do.:#(

I am here….sort of. Just managed to log in after many tries. Not sure what the hell is going on. After half a dozen tries, I tried to change my pswd twice. The second time I copied and pasted it into the login. But then, following the links in my settings, when I tried to change the pswd to what I wanted rather than a bunch of letters and numbers, it kept saying 'current password doesn't match'. What?! I was just given it so how could it already not match! This is so frustrating. I guarantee in a few days I'll have to log in again. It's been doing that….logging off….ever since I moved to Fargo. Was unable to ask a question in the forums because I needed to be logged in. I guess I'm just not on here enough anymore. Still have not tried the cds you sent me. Someone told me I have to know programming to install Linux. Anyway, back upstairs I go. I hear the little munchkin up from her nap.Spent a week back in Phoenix visiting family. Stayed with my son and his wife. It was a wonderful 65 to 72 degrees. I was outside every single day working in their yard. They wanted to have me stay longer but I couldn't. Will be back again. Felt nice to get warm for the week. Snow's almost all gone here in Fargo but it is still cold to me. Took Mia out for a walk this morning because it was nice and sunny and NOT windy. Now it's clouded up again. One thing…when that snow melts into this black dirt…having three dogs isn't fun. Especially when there is light colored carpet!

22. Weatherlawyer says:

Originally posted by Weatherlawyer:

Shameless advertising:1. For an ellipse there are two points (called foci) The twin radii of an ellipse are best demonstrated with some string and two nails hammered into a board.Place the pins through the ends of the string. Pull the string tight with a pencil so that the pencil point draws on the board. Move the pencil as far as you can in the string.Notice how the angle of the string changes as the lengths of string either side of the pencil changes.The shape you draw using just one nail is called a circle. With two nails it is an ellipse.2. Try it with different distances between pins and try it with more than two of them.3. How does the string's length control things?http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/blog/2012/03/04/bling-guides?cid=84780102#comment84780102I wish I had had someone to do all this with when I was young. My parents stopped me writing on the walls. . . . . . . . . . and that was about it for home education in those days.When you think how much free space a wall offers a young mind.What a waste!

That's BS. Unless you are dual booting more than one operating system on your machine, (like, say, having Windows 7 and Linux Mint on the one computer) It's as simple as sticking the CD in, booting up and following the install procedures just like in Windows. If you use Linux Mint or Ubuntu, all it takes is a little learning curve and you can get tha knowlede you need from forums and people on here, like Aadil, Tamil, Dr. John, who can help you out. I've been using Linux systems for quite awhile now and many of the Mint and Ubuntu can be used out of the box. On this machine right now I have two hard drives and the following operating systems: Vista Home Premium, Linux Mint 12, Ubuntu 11.04, Peppermint 2 and Linux Mint Kde—and I use em all. Don't be scared of Linux. Whoever told you that probably has had no experience with Linux, or hasn't had for several years anyway.

24. Weatherlawyer says:

No.If you are afraid of mucking it up you can always reinstall the Windows. (I am presuming you have a Windows install disc or a restore one.)It does change the format if you install it but I gave you some Live CDs.If you change the start up sequence of your computer so that it uses the CD as a "boot disc" it will just use the CD as the operating system the way that early computers used to work.Just see if you can find out which are the live CDs by playing them in Windows. As they come from Magazines, they will tell you a lot about themselves.If they do work when you eventually get them to, it means that you have a problem with Windows.If you still have the same problem despite using a different operating system, you will know that it is a hardware fault causing it.

25. Weatherlawyer says:

Originally posted by L2D2:

You need to know how to set the computer to start up with the CD first.This just means hitting thee Delete key on most, F2 for Dells. It all depends on the make.But it is easy.When the computer boots up the first thing it says is the name of the motherboard.Write that down and post it. Or run (I forget the name of a free System Analyst for windows) Everest Home (is that still in use?) and find out what your computer is. I think you can just save it as a text and send it.It may have passwords in there though not sure. (Read it first. You only want the name of the motherboard and the OS.)

You probably can get that from System Info. Not sure

glad to hear you had a great time in Phoenix, Pam! nice to get warmed up, too. we are having nice weather here right now- this week will be very fresh and springy, not as warm as it was last couple weeks. kids and I were in Chicago for a few days and it was balmy! great walking weather!

there's no mystery about the will to paint. you do have to be in the right conditions. i have to feel free to be exhausted sometimes. so, way back when i was house husbanding and i had caitlin. she was about four then. we spent the whole day together in the sun room studio. she had her easel and i had mine. we'd paint for a while and then play in the back yard. there was a twelve foot diameter pool. so we cooled off for a while. then caitlin tired from all that took a nice long nap while i worked on my painting.i think i just have always put it first and let other things find their place.

Originally posted by I_ArtMan:

pleasant reading and imagine feeling at peace doing something akin to this… I like this.

30. Weatherlawyer says:

He changes his name as often as I change my shirt but he has this site now:http://carriagehousedigital.weebly.com/poetry.htmlThere is a really sad one on there.I remember the news channels watching the episode covered.We are an evil species, overall.

I have been PJ whoopie for a bit…Unasia sounds like I am taking over the world….Dumas was..well an apt description of me at the time. PJ Whoopie fits, rmemeber Tennessee tuxedo?There is no tab at the site, but here is the bloghttp://carriagehousedigital.weebly.com/blog.html

Thanks to all of you who still come visit me even though I don't get out much. Truer words have never been spoken.I do hope, in time, I'll be able to get out and about to visit all of your blogs and comment.

Ahhh…the will to paint. I feel an inkling of it, or is it a flutter. Don't know which. Started feeling it about two weeks ago. Had gone out on the back deck to be in the divine sunshine and noticed something sticking about two feet above the fence. I got a sudden feeling of excitement and thought it very weird. This thing was in the neighbor's driveway. Only an artist would have spotted it and known exactly what it was. An easel! Mine had somehow gotten left behind and got sold for scrap metal! I waited till the next day and saw the lady out there with her kids. If my daughter had been home, I never would have gone outside to ask this lady if she was selling her easel. She said no, but that she was getting rid of it and did I want it.Well, I about had a heart attack jumping off the deck and running to the fence. Her husband handed it over the fence to me and, believe it or not, I was shaking with excitement. Oh for crying out loud, listen to me. But really, this easel was exactly like the one I left except the color was black. It is now hiding in my bedroom. I'll set it up in a week when my daughter goes out of town. She doesn't think I should buy any more 'stuff'. And I don't think she'd believe me if I told her it was free.

34. darkesthour says:

I'll set it up in a week when my daughter goes out of town.

Ninja painter :ninja: 😀

35. Weatherlawyer says:

Must get rid of evil one. Grab easel and baby and run.(And psgetti and run.)

huh, magine that :coffee:

Hi Pam, hope you can make some time to be here. Miss you.

it's a sign. :happy:

thumbs up! how very exciting! Originally posted by I_ArtMan:

it's a sign.

I think so <3the painting above is spectacular! please paint soon.

I will paint soon. Very soon.Have done a couple of collages with Mia this past month. At two years and a few months, her attention span is still very short but she seems to enjoy drawing, or gluing stuff, at least for a few minutes. Fifteen max. I'll do a post soon of what we've done. Have also even been showing her pictures from my art books, and reading poetry to her. Sometimes she'll hold her ears and say "grammmmaaaa Noooo" but I keep reading the poetry or blathering on about the colors in a painting in a book. The times she stops what she is doing and gets up to see closer is what I wait for. I get total attention about what she is looking at………..for a nano second…..and then she looks at me quizzically. It is priceless. I bought a packet of washable markers. They work the best on plain white paper, at least for two year olds. Right now she had scribbled in a Tinkerbell watercolor booklet and has totally obliterated the faces. But that's ok. I'm learning what colors she is choosing. The watercolor with her was ok. We did two small sheets but she was more interested in splashing the brush back and forth from paint to water dish and not a lot on the paper. Have hidden the watercolors and now think I'll hide the markers for a bit and go back to crayons. They are more subtle. Hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July. All three dogs are down in the sub-basement with me. Too noisy for them.

41. Weatherlawyer says:

Have done a couple of collages with Mia this past month. She seems to enjoy drawing, or gluing stuff, at least for a few minutes.Have also even been showing her pictures from my art books, and reading poetry to her. Sometimes she'll hold her ears and say "grammmmaaaa Noooo" but I keep reading the poetry or blathering on about the colors in a painting in a book.The times she stops what she is doing and gets up to see closer is what I wait for. I get total attention about what she is looking at………..for a nano second…..and then she looks at me quizzically. It is priceless.

Sounds like you have found your metier.(Errrm… what exactly IS a metier?)

for a nano second

I think you mean a nana second :Dso happy to hear of all the joy you have with Mia. she's blessed just like you are. so cool to have a grandma that is truly interested in her grandchild and so attentive to her. what a gift.can't wait to see paintings by Pam & art by Mia!

43. Weatherlawyer says:

You aught to let her paint with coloured syrup on plain pastry.Or does that only work on boys?

Looking forward to your post.

Originally posted by Dacotah:

Looking forward to your post.

:up: :up: :up:

46. greenwitch3 says:

Hi dear friend, where are you ? I miss you… 😦

I can hardly believe this was posted in January. My goodness how time flies. Still haven't painted but have done some 'classes' of sorts with Mia. greenwitch3!….I am fine, just very busy. A new post will be soon. It's about time!

48. greenwitch3 says:

You are right my dear friend, time flies. I am happy reading that you are fine, working and with your family.Cant wait to see your new post.Hugs for you….:happy:

Hi Pam, looking forward to your new post. 🙂