First time

Hahaha….not what you think. It is the first time in several days I've been able to get on Opera and it has nothing to do with my being a caretaker of a little munchkin during the week. It is mainly due to pc problems. I believe it is the wireless network. Wish I still had my secure, high speed connection like I had in Phoenix. I almost don't want to try to get on the pc anymore because it takes a full minute or more for anything to come on the screen. Or, I guess I should say, upload? Whatever I click on it 'hangs' for over a minute. That's when it DOES finally download to what I'm wanting. Very frustrating and depressing so I just don't go to the pc hardly ever.

Thank you dW for your return email. I read it over a week ago, then the pc kept going off line and I couldn't answer you.

It was hot and humid here in Fargo the last couple of months. Almost felt like home….except for those darn mosquitoes and the tornado sirens. The sirens went off three times July 4 evening. We could see the huge thunderhead clouds coming closer and the lightening. We were on the deck watching some of the fireworks the first time the sirens went off. We gathered all the dogs and ourselves and went down into the basement. What was funny, sort of, is that we could still hear people letting off the fireworks. Must have been the locals who don't bother with sirens.

Now it's been a nice, breezy 75 on average. That I don't mind at all because it is cool enough to keep the swarms of mosquitoes away. But one or two will still get to you somehow.

There are more photos I'd love to show you but I'm still unable to get my new printer/scanner to work. I have a feeling I must have Windows 7. Soooooo, I think I'll give the new printer to my daughter who gave it to me and just take their old one. An old printer will go better with an old pc I think. If I don't get it to work, I think I'll start having all my photos put on a disc rather than printed out. That way I can at least get them in my photo folder.

Here's another of when her parents took her to the Fargo Zoo while I was in Chicago in June.

Now here is what I was treated to for my birthday in June. My daughters bought me a ticket to Chicago. Suzy and her boyfriend took me to his lake home. Very beautiful and relaxing.

p.s. The only way I have the above photos is that I'm getting them from my daughters' FB pages. I'll do my best to get back here to respond. Just not sure how the pc will be.

59 Responses to First time

Glad to have you back.Or are you … ?

2. slackwrdave says:

Good pics!I halfway wonder if you have the Hughesnet by satellite dish there. There's almost nothing more quirky, plus it's slow and expensive, but in some places, it's the only option.

3. marmaze says:

Looking at your photos of Mia I realise for how long I've been absent from Opera…almost 17 months… ๐Ÿ˜ฎ What an incredible change! – Yes, I know children grow up fast, but still I find it hard to believe, every time :doh:

4. Frlmnk says:

Good to see a post from you, Pam. There's 'skeeters here too. The heat's not too bad though.Mia seems to be getting on just fine. :up: Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Nice to hear from you, Pam. Sorry to hear about all your Internet difficulties. I appreciated all the trouble it was getting the photos that you used to illustrate your post. Mia is growing so fast! Loved seeing her driving.

So glad to hear from you, dear Pam. Mia is lovely… wow, 17-month-old, time is flying ๐Ÿ™‚ I see you had a wonderful time in Chicago for your b- day. Hope your PC behaves well so I will have more photos to see ๐Ÿ˜€ Take care.

7. claudeb says:

It's good to hear news from you, anyway. And to see the photos. PC problems can be solved. As long as you're all right, and your family too, all is well.

Looks like you're having a wonderful time with your family, Pam. I'm so glad for you. Better than being online any day.Mia's such a pretty lil' girl. Guess I should say "big girl," because she is certainly growing.:up:

9. Phantom2 says:

Sorry to hear about your PC problems, but it looks like you've found a happy place to be. :up:

Nice to see you back here, Pam :up:

Pam, maybe your problems aren't all on your end.MyOpera has certainly been problematic for me as well for a while. I dread Log Ins. Sometimes they just don't want to go through. It'll take several attempts. Or like yesterday, I wound up having to perform a Profile Reset and Private Data Clearing before I was finally able to Log On. Errors and Delays have become part of the MyOpera landscape lately. :bomb:

hi pam. wow. mia looks great. i like the pic of you on the dock. hang in there. maybe they will install cable soon.by the way, lokutus prime is in chicago right now. he posted some interesting material. love to hear you again. :happy:

dW: Yes, I'll be back as much as I can and as long as I don't get frustrated. Forgot to mention it goes offline every so often when I'm right in the middle of a comment. Dave: Thanks. Not sure about the Hughesnet. I'm going to eventually call the cable company to ask them some questions. I'm also wondering if part of the problem is that I'm in the basement. Marmaze: Yes, the changes are amazing in 17 months. With Mia and with Opera too for that matter. Tom: Enjoying the rest of the summer now. It's been in the 70s, a little rainy some days, but still nice. Would you believe Fargo uses crop dusters all over for the mosquitoes! We are warned not to let our pets out or go outside during a certain time in the early evening! You can hear them flying low over the neighborhood. Deb: Wish that little car was here. It was in Chicago when they were visiting there. I bought her a smaller one but she will NOT get on it. Right now she just wants to push it around like crazy and scare the dogs.L.D: Hi Julie, yeah time sure does fly. Wish I could go to that lake house once a month. Felix: Yes, in spite of the pc problems, I'll try to set aside my frustration to get back here a little more often.

Star, P2 and Darko: Yes, having a good time, taking care of Mia especially. Since I haven't been on the pc as much, I've been trying to explore Fargo a bit more while the weather is nice. As long as I'm here, I will embrace my new life. Discovered a beautiful old park with a few bronze statues and magnificent old trees, found a new coffee house, found yet another second hand store and bought a book about Munch for $3 and drove by the train depot which I'll return to another day to take photos.Carlos: You're right I think. Since my pc had been off for so long, I hadn't downloaded many of the opera upgrades. Once that was done, it worked a little better but still not like a year ago in Phoenix. I'll fiddle with it a little more.Scott: Love to be here again even though it's sporadic. Sitting on the dock I was in a meditative state staring at the slightly moving water. I joked that I was talking to giant Carp. I was also sipping a White Russian. Hadn't had one of those since I was 19! They do have cable but I guess it's just for the tv I don't know. Will call the cable company to ask some questions later. I'm so afraid this'll go off line any minute when I'm in the middle of commenting so I'll stop for now and visit a few of you.

Pam, I hate to sound like a Luddite on the subject, but I have absolutely no desire for wireless. I have never IM'd anyone with wireless that didn't have to reconnect at least once an hour, and I get fragmented emails from wi-fi people all the time. My kid has everything wireless, except a land line for Internet Only. I think that's available from AT&T, and maybe others, in case you're interested. In short, unless you have a bad connector or a broken wire, wires are pretty damned reliable.

16. SittingFox says:

Hi Pam, nice to see you on here and sorry to hear about your PC issues! I'm fighting a battle with my laptop at the moment because it keeps overheating and shutting down but at least that doesn't stop me blogging.Do I see prairie dogs? :right: Glad that Mia is getting along well.

technology issues- bah! they are a pain! I'm wrestling with my Android (smart phone that makes me look really dumb) to hold a charge– goofy battery dies about as soon as I charge it!but, what a doll this little Mia is! you are so blessed (and so is she!) btw, we missed you in Chicago- were there over the 4th of July. great city… happy belated birthday, Pam!

dW: I agree with you. If I'm ever in my own home again, I WON'T have wireless, that is for sure. Adele: Well, I've been on line for five minutes, woohoo, and it hasn't gone off line yet, so I feel lucky.Yes, those are prairie dogs. I'll have to get to the zoo here before they close up for the winter. Even though it is a very small zoo, I still love seeing the animals. Jill: Bah! to tech issues too! Yes, she's a doll and so much fun. She doesn't walk anywhere…she runs. Keeps me on my toes.

She doesn't walk anywhere…she runs. Keeps me on my toes.

๐Ÿ˜€ have fun!

Something to cheer you up:Phoenix is having another dust storm today.

21. CarloFon says:

@ PainterWoman "Mia is growing like a weed. She is so much fun. At 17 months, would you believe, she is driving! LOL!" She looks so happy.So True. Before long you will be giving Mia driving lessons. Enjoy! I have 3 granddaughters, just spent a day at the beach with them, and they do grow like weeds, great expression.Thanks for stopping by and commenting on "lost details". I'm trying to simplify, attempting to do more with less, It's tough being a string saver. :irked: :cheers:

Jill: am having lots of fun. We went to a favorite restaurant of mine called Mom's Diner and had pizza. She was very good except for wanting to throw her food on the floor. She's usually very good except for that. dW: Actually saw yet another news video of the storm. Found one on YT too. No need for special effects in Phoenix. Carlo: Her parents bought her a little pool. She absolutely loves the water and will run back and forth in the sprinkler too. The pc is staying on line still so I'll try to visit a few more blogs.

it's wonderful how this all worked out so well for you, pam. a big change, a giant leap and an act of courage to pull up stakes like that. i can tell just from the changed vibration of your voice that you feel more fulfilled.i am slightly envious since my only contact with my four children, nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild is totally imaginary through their participation in facebook. i get to watch them grow via posted photos and snippets. better than nothing. :happy:

to throw her food on the floor. She's usually very good except for that

she says, "NO!" to cholesterol. smart girl- but, Grandma has earned some of that pizza, Mia! everything in moderation, the rest she throws on the floor. ๐Ÿ˜€

25. Frlmnk says:

You went out for pizza?

Scott, that's too bad. I thought one or two of your children/grandchildren were in California. At least you have a few friends there. I don't have any here yet and probably won't for a while. I've always been introverted so establishing new friends at our age will take a while. The only two I had in Phoenix I'll probably never see again. Both were hard to get a hold of when I lived there, especially one. She is 68 and, I think, has dementia or Alzheimer's. Jill: We have pizza about twice a month but I get a craving for it once in a while. I try to get out to a restaurant once a week for grilled salmon. It's just so darned expensive! Tom: If you were here, you'd be offered some.

27. Frlmnk says:

If I were there I'd make some! :insane:

Pam she is such a darling. Has that much time gone by already? Jeez.So how many prairie dogs did Mia want to take home with her? One? Three? All of them?:D

Tom: Homemade pizza is the best!Ed: Yup, that much time has gone by. Hard to believe. I'm sure she would have taken one or two home. But I'm afraid one, or both, of the 100 lb labs would have had them for lunch.

Pam, Mia is getting prettier all the time. She is a beautiful little girl, and I'll bet Grannie Pam spoils her rotten! ๐Ÿ˜‰ You are talking about 75F and rain and Texas is burning up—literally. We have been in a drought here for months now with no rain to speak of, and we are having really bad wildfires all over the state. My son said Bastrop, a town not too far from Austin, has been almost totally destroyed by fires. We have bad wildfires burning all around our area. My son's home is completely surrounded by wildfires. Fortunately, he lives on a private lake and can get out into the water in his boat if the immediate surroundings catch fire and they get trapped. County adjoining ours has set up evacuee centers for people in the area who have had mandatory evacuations from certain areas. The small town of Liberty City, which is nearest town to my son's place, was evacuated. It is happening in just about every county. If we don't get a good rain soon, all of Texas may be a blackened graveyard!

I try to get out to a restaurant once a week for grilled salmon.

ever make it at home?

Homemade pizza is the best!

I don't make my own … the carbs are a little high for me to indulge more than once in a while. Besides, I just don't enjoy messing about with dough … I'm spatially challenged in this damned little kitchen.But I have found a frozen one that is kinda groovy … Digiorno's Spinach, Mushroom, and Garlic. It's surprisingly good, and has enough garlic to really light you up.

Jill and dW: Nope, have never made it at home, from scratch that is, but my son in Phoenix has perfected the dough. dW, DiGiorno is good. Pepperoni is the only thing I like on Pizza, along with green bell peppers and onion. Once in a while, I just have to have it. I would say once a month. The kids order it more often so I'll just have a fish or chicken Lean Cuisine those evenings. Most evenings, I cook and it is usually chicken dishes and once a week, fish. I started doing the cooking because they were having far too much beef to me.

Linda: Yeah I spoil her with love and attention. She's been climbing up on my lap unprompted the last couple of days. So sweet. She's pretty independent and if you asked to, she would run in the opposite direction. LOL. Yesterday we were outside and all she wanted to do was run. I cannot let go of her hand because she immediately heads for the street. Soooo….I run along the sidewalk with her. Luckily, her steps are tiny even while running.The 75 and rain is such a far cry from Phoenix. You are having the wild fires that Arizona has had for so many years. Drought too. The temps in Fargo have now been in the high fifties, mid sixties. I know what's coming next.

Pam, give them a break and cook them a steak at least every now and then. Or a pot roast in the slow cooker. Beef is good for you. Don't believe the naysayers.

I do that, in fact, just made one over the weekend. Yesterday was pizza, tonight tacos. That's five days of beef in a row because the roast was a big one. Last night I didn't eat but went grocery shopping like I do once a week. I had a turkey sandwich when I got home and after putting away groceries. I think they are getting the break with me cooking and grocery shopping. Once a month, he'll grill a bunch of steaks, dogs and burgers, enough for a week. That's all beef for a week except for the turkey dogs I buy. But how many days in a row can you have turkey dogs? Many nights, I just plain don't eat or I'll have a fish or chicken Lean Cuisine. Too much beef has more calories and does raise the triglycerides and the bad cholesterol. It also seems to cause problems with my digestion if it's too many days in a row of beef. That's why I started doing most of the cooking.

pam, have you ever tried swordfish? broil it with a dash of tamari sauce… i call it the 'beef of the sea'. even if you don't like most fish. it is a little dear though. salmon is another very healthy protein food. :chef:

I love swordfish although I've had it only one time….25 yrs ago in a restaurant. It was delicious and expensive! I love most fish, especially salmon and cod. Salmon seems to be quite expensive too. So far, the cheapest salmon meal I've found out in a restaurant is $13.99. Even only once a week, I cannot afford that so I order soup and salad. Also have just been introduced to tilapia. It seems to be big in Fargo for some reason. I find it rather bland so if it has some good seasoning on it, it's pretty good. We have never tried cooking fresh fish here, just prepared and frozen. It doesn't always come out quite right. Tastes good but it falls apart.

Sorry, Pam, sounded as though you had your family on a chicken/turkey/fish diet. hahahah. I was being facetious anyway. Tilapia is becoming very popular here, also, and I like it. My sister-in-law, Edie, buys a lot of tilapia (which, btw, is also an aquarium fish for sale in pet stores) It has become fairly expensive, though. I have tried to like the taste of salmon, but I just am not fond of it. I love salmon croquettes, but otherwise, I don't buy it. I prefer seafood to fish. Never tried swordfish, but I will if I get the chance.

never made it at home, from scratch that is

I meant the ๐Ÿ˜€ salmon… I see that you've not had luck with fish- not falling apart. I tried quite a meaty sockeye from the farmer's market here. He offers pretty good deals on it. "Sustainable Alaskan Salmon from my boat to your table." Let me know if you are interested, it would store in your freezer and should prove to be tasty. I can give you the information. I like to use salmon as the main course, or in a stir-fry, cut in chunks, with a mango chutney. Love it atop a good pesto pasta, too.And, I'm with Linda for a good steak ๐Ÿ˜€ sometimes.

That's the operative word … "sometimes".

Had the talapia for the first time at a restaurant here a few months ago. It had mango salsa and cilantro on top of it. It was quite good. Mango salsas and chutney are used quite often here I've noticed. I've become a fan of it although I've never bought it or made anything with it. First time I ever had salmon was about 30 years ago in Pugent Sound cooked by Native Americans over some sticks on Tillicum Island…or was it Orca's Island…can't remember. Then, during the same week visit there, I had salmon again with a pesto sauce. Have been hooked on salmon ever since. Jill, yes, I'd appreciate the info. Although I do the grocery shopping, I am reimbursed money-wise so, depending on the cost, I sort of have to get an ok on it. My favorite steak back in Phoenix was a petite fillet at Black Angus but at $18.95, it was a once a year thing. The only steak I've had here (in a year!) was at Gracie's, an Italian restaurant. I believe it was a New York steak but it had the most mouth watering seasoning. Tuscan they called it. Each bite I took, I chewed very slowly, savoring it and wondering what the spices were. Well now my mouth is watering. Coffee and toasted whole wheat Naan Bread with honey is all I had for breakfast. Time for some fruit now.Might see if they have swordfish in the grocery here.

Well now my mouth is watering.

you've got my mouth watering now, too, describing that good food. didn't know that mango was so popular- it does make a great sauce atop fish, for sure…will mail you the info ๐Ÿ™‚

Pam, our local supermarkets have pre-made salmon patties in the frozen food section. It's cheaper than regular salmon.

A good-sized broiled salmon steak in our little local restaurant runs $8.95 … and it's very good.You should be able to get canned salmon in the store and make your own croquettes.Don't try it with the canned mackerel, though … but if you have a cat, he'll love you forever if you buy it for him.If you're looking for something cheap and quick, this is something I use once in a while … one of those prepared pasta mixes … there are several brands, but you want the one with sour cream and chives … cut up a good-sized onion, put it into however much water the pasta stuff calls for, bring it to a boil and toss in a tbsp of butter. Well, maybe two. Then the pasta and the sauce mix, however the recipe wants you to do it. Cook as you would any pasta, and when it's about ready, add about a cup of peas, fresh or frozen. Mix it in well, then a couple of the small cans, or one of the big ones, of the cheap tuna in oil (drain most of the oil). Stir it up, and let it stand 'til the sauce thickens up. It's really good, and if you want, you can add a bit more sour cream.The whole thing takes about 15 minutes.

Thanks Jill, got the email. I'm going to buy some mango chutney next time I'm at the store. AND get some fresh Alaskan salmon.Deb: I've never seen salmon patties here. Will have to look for them. dW: $8.95 is a great price. For that I'd get it twice a week. I have a can of salmon in the cupboard now. Will make the croquettes this week. My mom used to make them and I hated them at the time. That recipe sounds kinda what I make once in a while but w/o the sour cream/chives and onions. That sounds really good adding those.

Yes, the sour cream really seems to go nicely with the tuna flavour, and the onion keeps it from getting too sour.

48. Weatherlawyer says:

it goes offline every so often when I'm right in the middle of a comment.

Sounds like malware.You have tried the routines I take it?How to deal with composing replies is to save web pages and read them offline then use a word processor to comment. I used the idea to cut down online time at the pubic library. It's the same principle of having Outlook Express or Thunderbird download your e-mails automatically for you to read later.In the good old days time was of the essence and if you read more than a few pages you got hit by your ISP.Speaking of them, they just slow you down when there are problems, not give you a disconnect. Have the telephone company check your line.Originally posted by Suntana:

I keep getting warnings that it is using too much ram when I am into a lot of images. Then it Borked on me when downloading Office Libre the free version of Open Office. So I am not happy with Libre.Not sure it is much good but opening any word processor drinks up your chip fat. I had hoped Libre would aim a code at not doing that.Some hope.

It's not just MyOpera that's going all pear-shaped; it's Opera itself … freakin' browsder just sits and dithers, while FF can go to the site and six others whilst Opera is twirling that little wheelie thing. What's more, FF can paste stuff into MyOpera when Opera just refuses. I've gotten real quick on the "Close" button on Opera browser lately. I just switch to FF.Pam, I made some salmon croquettes (well, I dunno what they are, really) yesterday … I happened to have a can of pink salmon of some size and my son was coming over, and my wife had invited her Mexican friend from downstairs … so I diced up half of a really big onion, threw in a little (!) basil (it had to be a little; my wife doesn't like food that tastes like something), a couple eggs (with yolks), a handful of frozen peas, and mixed like crazy. When it was pretty well mixed, I grabbed about three handfuls (handsful?) of oatmeal to pick up the excess moisture, and made it into patties. Fried 'em up in canola oil (olive oil seemed kinda wrong), and everyone went bananas over how good they were … including me. I remember my mom's salmon croquettes, and these (whatever they were) were 'WAY better. There was one extra … I nuked it for lunch today. In retrospect, maybe another egg or two; they were kinda fall-apart-y.

50. Weatherlawyer says:

Originally posted by derWandersmann:

I made some salmon croquettes (well, I dunno what they are, really) yesterday … I happened to have a can of pink salmon … so I diced up half of a really big onion, threw in a little basil, a couple eggs (with yolks), a handful of frozen peas, and mixed like crazy. When it was pretty well mixed, I grabbed about three handfuls of oatmeal to pick up the excess moisture and made it into patties.

I was looking at some tins of Mackerel yesterday and thinking kedgeree. I didn't fancy the small bones or the aftertaste though.I might try it with some herbs. What would mask the oil flashback?I make the carbohydrate part out of ground cassava. It cooks instantly. Just lay 6 sponfuls in a frying pan and quench it with a few drops of water.What I used for flavouring was bacon fat and chopped up frazzled rinds (what we call crackling in Britain. Chop them up before you crisp them then add the cassava and pour a couple of spoonfuls of water over it.)It turns to paste if you add too much water, perfectly acceptable of course, you paste potatoes after all. But I like my meals crispy.If I put the mackerel in it I could just think: "Pork crackling" as I hit the bones.Nice one. Them damned cans will be going rusty otherwise.About Opera. They may be over reaching at the moment. Have you seen the beta products? I got my own name on an e=mail addy. (Nice one.)But the fact is that large computers make large mistakes. That's why Vista was so bad and that's how even a network like Google's crashes from time to time.