Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone. I hope all of you have a healthy and prosperous New Year too. My wish also is that we all have just the right amount of change in our pockets, just the right amount of food on the table, just enough gasoline in the car, the right tools to fix whatever needs fixing, the best doctors we could ever hope for to fix whatever ails us and just the right amount of humor to be able to laugh out loud at ourselves and do or say something goofy every day. I do the latter a lot. That smile on my granddaughter's face makes my day.

Here's also hoping I may finally be organized enough in the new year to be on here more often, to get back to my painting, that my pc finally gets completely set up with virus software, that I can find cheaper health insurance that doesn't keep me in the poor house, and that I can find a boom box in a second hand store or pawn shop. I donโ€™t believe they are made to play cassettes anymore. I have many cassette tapes along with cds. The old boom box I had that played both got left behind to be mailed to me but was mistakenly sold at a carport sale for $5.

Besides getting to see my granddaughter every day, there is one additional thing that has changed my life………

I quit smoking.

It will be four months the end of December.

Sorry, I'm still unable to add photos from my daughter's computer.

This entry was posted in Life in general. Bookmark the permalink.

102 Responses to Happy Holidays!

I sure would hate to be to.

If I let myself think about it too much, I could get very depressed about it.

Keep trying to think about it as a "winter wonderland" … that's what I do, anyway. It is beautiful in it's own way. If you decide to paint it, you'll have to buy extra white!Originally posted by PainterWoman:

every time I make my min pin go outside to do her duty. She keeps giving me that look….

Out of pity for our dog, when the snow gets deep my husband digs out an area of the yard so she can do her duty without putting her hiney in the snow. However when the snow isn't epicly high like your is, she loves "snow-ploughing" her nose through the snow. Oh, how I wish I had a video of her doing this! It's so funny to watch. However she's so impetuous in deciding when to do this that the odds of me every capturing it on film are slim. :left: :right: Just realized how old I sounded with the "on film" remark. :doh:

Originally posted by claudeb:

So, keep some of that in a different location. Keep high-res digital reproductions of your work.

The attic sounds a good deal better … it's too hot in summer, but a whole-house fan, or attic ventilating fan, would probably do the trick … a temperature-activated switch is the best way to do it. In case there's any questioning, a system like that saves a bundle on AC, too. Cold attics are the rule (indeed, the requirement!) in a well-insulated house, but it shouldn't be that much too cold. It would get the stuff above water level, anyway. And hi-rez digital paintings are, sadly, not very saleable or frameable. And have you ever tried to paint a painting again? Oy, vay!And I've been looking at the maps of the Fargo area … it definitely looks flood-prone. That much meandering in a river argues that the land is VERY flat, and there are almost no natural barriers to an expanding river. I didn't even have to look at the รฆrials or topo maps … that place is a potential lake or inland sea if the river gets plugged up anywhere north of you. You don't need skis or snowshoes … you need pontoons!P.S. What ever possessed your kids to go entirely below ground? Very odd … that kind of country usually has a relatively high water table. And that sort of window, about 2ยฝ feet by whatever (it's usually about 4 to 5 feet high), swings inward at one side, like a door or a casement window, and is intended to act as an emergency exit door. Damned if I know what kind of emergency, but it was put in with probably a good reason. It's usually in a well of some sort, so you can get up to ground level. I hope.

4. Frlmnk says:

I think the flooding problem is one of the major reasons the Native Americans of that region remained nomadic. Before the sod busters there weren't any firmly established cities or towns. Being "a kid" is kinda like "beginners mind" to me. It can show fresh outlook on seemingly mundane drudgery. I do agree; I'd protect things I didn't want to chance loosing to water damage. Me, I'm as much of a "Black Foot" as possible. Hardly anything's a total loss. :up:

Another thought: does the house have central air? And also, humidity control? Canvases especially suffer from wide fluctuations in humidity, going slack when humid, tightening up when dry … the most rigourous fat-over-lean construction will not prevent the oil paints from loosening their grip, if that sort of thing happens over a long time. Some humidifier/dehumidifier machines have humidistats in them which are sensitive to the amount of humidity in the air, and switch on and off accordingly.As for framed watercolours, I have seen too-tightly-fitted mattes take a well-built frame apart when the humidity went up. I know the frames were well-built, because I built them.

6. claudeb says:

Originally posted by derWandersmann:

And hi-rez digital paintings are, sadly, not very saleable or frameable.

Really? I happen to know someone who makes a living selling prints (among other products). And having your work in digital format is better than not having it at all anymore…

Is that bedroom window that is even with the ground water tight?I would think that any regular ole hard rain would cause water to leak into your bedroom if it's not a water tight seal.

8. lovinmalamutes says:

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!! That is a difficult habit to break, be proud of yourself for beating the time bomb.:yes: :hat: :hat:

9. lovinmalamutes says:

Hi Pam. I hope you had a great Christmas, and an awesome New Year. :hat: :cheers: May you have excellent Health, absolute Love, and abundant Wealth!!!:yes: Please forgive my total lack of communication for so long. I don't know what happened. It took me this long to realize some of my friends hadn't been visited in a year. My goodness I sure didn't mean to ignore you like that.:worried: I truly am sorry, and want you to know it was not intentional. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ I do care, although my visits to your page wouldn't prove that. ๐Ÿ™„

10. Cynthia23 says:

Belated, but sincere wishes that the joyous tone I read between the lines in this post continue and grow during the new year. Best wishes to you and your family, Pam.

Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

That is a difficult habit to break, be proud

Yes! A very difficult habit. I am happy every day when I think of it, how much more healthy I feel and all the money I am saving.

Originally posted by Frlmnk:

I think you are right about that. They must be smarter. Originally posted by debplatt:

I've been doing that since the first snow back in November. I'd dug out an area about 8' x 35' all the way to the grass. The big labs go all over, jumping and running in the snow, but CJ stays in the little area I've shoveled out. I've noticed though that this area is getting smaller and smaller as it snows more and gets colder…it's now about 6' x 20ft.Originally posted by derWandersmann:

What ever possessed your kids to go entirely below ground? Very odd

Not for this area. Almost all the homes have basements totally underground with an egress window or two. Plus, if you have a basement, you have a sump pump. There is always moisture in the ground. The pump saves you from having constant leaks into the walls of the basement. Oh and the house has central air and um…..not sure about humidity control. Originally posted by Suntana:

Is that bedroom window that is even with the ground water tight?

Definitely. Most homes here have double paned windows mainly because of the cold snow. It rained here once very hard the first month I was here. No leaks inside my window at all. Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

May you have excellent Health, absolute Love, and abundant Wealth!!!

Thank you and the same to you. Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

Oh, please don't concern yourself. My computer was packed for three months during my move. I only just recently started getting back in the groove of visiting more blogs. I'm using my daughter's pc though. Mine doesn't have everything it needs to get it going yet. Originally posted by Cynthia23:

Thanks Cynthia. Yes, I'm much more relaxed now that a few months have passed….still have a few things to do, unpack and such. The move itself was so overwhelming and exhausting it felt like I was a hundred years old.

13. lovinmalamutes says:

Yes! A very difficult habit.

How well I know, as I quit for 3 years and when 9-11 happened I took it back up again. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ :furious: ๐Ÿ˜ฅ I will quit one more time in the near future, and if I even look at them I'll break out my own can of whoop a**, and I'm pretty sure I can take me.:p :whistle: ๐Ÿ˜†

14. Cynthia23 says:

You're welcome, Pam! You'll get it all unpacked. Just really happy to see that you are well and smiling again! Take care and see you around the OC!

Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

I'm pretty sure I can take me.

๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by Cynthia23:

You'll get it all unpacked.

Oh, I know…one box at a time. I've even gotten rid of a few more things as I've unpacked. I doubt very much I'll be wearing shorts here so I got rid of all of them. Even if it does get hot enough, the mosquitos love me so I'll stick to long pants. Oooops, I forgot, those pesky things sting you right through your clothes. Hmmmm…..

Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

I quit for 3 years

I smoked for a few years in my twenties then, at age 30, when I was pregnant with Kathy, my 2nd child, I quit…..for 28 yrs! Whatever possessed me to start smoking again?! Well, I know why. Lots of things happened in a five year span that sunk me into a pit. I had gone through a divorce, was going to school parttime, struggled to find a decent pt job and was unemployed off and on, both parents had passed away, all three kids had moved away, my two best friends moved away, my dog died…and a few other things. I think smoking became my friend.

Don't get rid of the shorts, Pam … the Northern Plains get bloody hot in the Summer. An insect repellent with a compound abbreviated "DEET" is pretty effective … just slather it on, or spray it … whatever. Just be sure to take your watch off first … you can put it on again in a few minutes. There's something in there that fogs up the plastic of the crystal. I spent about a day polishing mine up with Novus the first time.

You must have felt like you were looking out of a submarine window.

What a rough patch! Bob and I went through a period where one to three close relatives were dying every year. And since we were older ourselves, we ended up being the ones who had been chosen to dispose of the deceased's property. It was very depressing. Originally posted by derWandersmann:

I was thinking the same thing, dW. Our winters in Ohio aren't as severe as in the Dakotas, but they are still pretty, respectable winters. And in the summer when the highs are climbing to around 90F, shorts are a big help… especially if you are spending much time outside of air-conditioned buildings.BUT I think it's already a done deal, Pam used the past tense to say she already had disposed of them. :awww:

Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

Good one, Lucy! Somehow that reminded me of the movie The Secret Window where Johnny Depp's character had another personality, which he wasn't aware it was doing this, that and the other … behind his own back. :insane:

22. lovinmalamutes says:

Hi Pam, I hope you're doing okay and adjusting well to all the changes. :up: :happy: Didn't you live in really warm weather Arizona before this? I apologize if I'm sticking my nose where it might not belong.I'm just curious why you went to cold weather. Brrrrrrrr The old adage; "Curiosity killed the cat, ๐Ÿ˜ฅ But satisfaction brought him back." :yes:

23. lovinmalamutes says:

Originally posted by Suntana:

Good one, Lucy

Thank you Chuck. I try, and I'm told, at times I can be very trying. :p :whistle: Originally posted by Suntana:

That actually makes sense that my comment would trigger that thought of the movie. It sounds just like my other self, whose going to kick my a** should I step out of line when I quit smoking. :eyes: :p ๐Ÿ˜† I've gotta say I just pictured me kicking me my own a**, and it made me laugh so hard I cryed!!! I didn't seem to be holding my own. ROFL ๐Ÿ˜† :up:

Originally posted by Suntana:

Originally posted by bbquote:

double paned windows…

You must have felt like you were looking out of a submarine window.

They are actually selling triple paned windows in our area now. :eyes: I am guessing that they are even more expensive, and more likely to fail since there are now two sealed vacuum areas that will end up losing their vacuum as the window ages.Pam, hope you haven't froze in Fargo. Thinking of you.

Yep. -15ยฐF there the other day … and that's real temperature, not counting wind.Deb, the original Thermopaneยฎ windows were an all-glass dewar flask, with the two panes fused at the edges. I don't know if they are still made that way.

We have double pane windows that have lost their seal. I don't know who manufactured them. I should have had them replaced before winter set it, but too late now. I hate thinking how much this is going to cost…

Originally posted by derWandersmann:

Don't get rid of the shorts, Pam

Ooops…they are history dW. I figured since the mosquitos loved me so much, I'd rather wear capri pants to at least protect some of my skin. Oh wait….those pesky things sting you right through your clothes! And yes, I will invest in several bottles of "Off" or whatever other repellant there is.Originally posted by debplatt:

Exactly Deb. But I was sort of a 'hanger on'….meaning….it was very hard to let things go. But also, it took me a long time because so many things happened, it was like I was in a quagmire and as soon as I started to get out, something else happened. I am thankful that time is long in the past. Originally posted by Suntana:

You must have felt like you were looking out of a submarine window.

Well now there is 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground so more like an igloo. I can still hardly believe I'm here. Originally posted by Suntana:

The Secret Window

That is one Depp film I have yet to see. Actually, there's quite a few I haven't seen. Can't wait to see The Tourist.Originally posted by lovinmalamutes:

Didn't you live in really warm weather Arizona before this?

Yes, I sure did D. Lived in Phoenix, Arizona for sixty years. I went from 110 to 115 degrees for six months of the year to 20 below. A few days ago, that's what it was…-20F with a wind chill of -39. Minus 20 by itself I can almost stand as long as I go fast from the car to inside. But that wind goes right through you. I just shivered thinking about it. It's 14 degrees right now but the wind is very strong today, plus it just started to snow again. The kids will eventually have to replace all of the windows in this house. They will do two at a time because it is expensive. I forget how much it is. Most of the windows get frost on the sill at the bottom. I really couldn't believe how much there was. You can see where the wood is beginning to rot…and the house was built in 95 so it's not that old. Surprisingly, there is no frost on the sill in my bedroom window. Not sure why that is.

28. Frlmnk says:

There you are. I was begining to worry. Unusually warm down here. You folks got a fireplace?

29. claudeb says:

Originally posted by debplatt:

We have double pane windows that have lost their seal. … I should have had them replaced before winter

Um, no you don't need to. ๐Ÿ™‚ A layer of air does the job just as well. It's an excellent insulator.

30. Frlmnk says:

Hey, I got chao, chao, chao. Thermopane is a trade mark! Get your colas neat! Dag nabbit!

31. Frlmnk says:

Whata want for that a Mint Milano?

You got one?Naaah … I'm a diabetic.

ยฎ = Registered TrademarkYou forgot the "s" in "chaos".LOL

Originally posted by claudeb:

Um, no you don't need to. A layer of air does the job just as well. It's an excellent insulator.

Unfortunately now that the seal has deteriorated, dust has begun accumulating between the two panes, and it is impossible to clean. :awww: But you are right… having "dead" air between the panes still provides a layer of insulation.When I was growing up, they didn't manufacture "double-pane" windows, and instead my parents would put "storm windows" up ever autumn (a storm window is a second pane of glass that sits inside the window frame interior to provide extra insulation). Then in the Spring they would take the storm windows down and replace them with screens so they could open the windows and not let bugs in. Granted that it is something of a hassle going through this twice a year. However unless accidental breakage occurred, they never had to replace their windows, and they never were in my situation of having dirty windows that are uncleanable. It kind of sounds like a better approach to me.

35. Frlmnk says:

Are you people trying to get me to talk about that house with the river running through it? :pirate: :ninja: :spock: I'd say see ya real soon but I don't know cut throats from speckled brown rainbows. Does it matter which you use in the Calamari?

36. Frlmnk says:

Originally posted by derW:

Naaah … I'm a diabetic.

Then I recomend Gravey Train or even some Kibble(but not too much), but, stay outta that mare's feed it's mollases coated.

37. pthhieubilly says:

I'm in holiday now. It's vietnamese new year

38. Frlmnk says:

BTW I've never come across any amphibians that chew tobacco! But, maybe in Kalveras.

39. Frlmnk says:

1 new comment, bypthhieubilly

since I have been notified of a comment, only to find there isn't one, I suspect this might not be anyone showing. (I use code to quote on my cell)Celebrate by snorkling with contact lens in? Or maybe, looking for DNA in diatomaceous earth? What eva! ๐Ÿ˜†

40. Frlmnk says:

Valarie, If you clk on the avatar beside PainterWoman you go to her pare. There should be a button that says "message PainterWoman".It might not show if she only has it enabled for friends. I'm not ecven sure about that.you could also try a freind request for that matter. I don't think she has been up on the myOpera community often lately though.

41. Frlmnk says:

42. writeride says:

I'm new to Opera; thus far this is the only way I can figure out how to send you a message. I found you when searching online for Kahlil Gibran's centaur drawings. And found yours. I remain utterly amazed at your drawing, and am DYING to see it in clearer resolution. Would you consider selling me a high quality photograph of it? Am so eager to communicate.Cheers,Valerie

43. thesamanyolu says:

:love: :heart: :heart: :heart:

44. Frlmnk says:

:heart: ๐Ÿ˜‰

45. lovinmalamutes says:

glitter-graphics.com

Wishing you well Always!:love:

Have A Nice Day – Comments and Graphics!

aLWAYS IN MY THOUGHTS!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Have A Nice Day – Comments and Graphics!

Springtime is lucky time. Have a nice week,Pam. ๐Ÿ™‚