Midgley Bridge, Sedona, Arizona

Midgley Bridge over Wilson Creek, Sedona, Arizona
Highway 89A, Built in 1938, 1939

Here is a full view of the bridge on a Sedona informational site.

A fantastic satellite view here.

Going through photos as usual and found this one I took during one of our day trips to Sedona many years ago. You have to cross the bridge to get to the parking, viewing area and also the trail head.
We did not do the hike this day but I would like to return. Sedona is a small but remarkable city with many scenic drives and hiking trails and is noted for it's Red Rock Country. I've done a post previously on Sedona here.

For more information about hiking trails in Sedona, this is a good site. This site takes a few seconds to load which is unusual because there are no photos.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Midgley Bridge, Sedona, Arizona

πŸ˜†

Originally posted by ellinidata:

the bravery to talk about your flaws

Only some of them. :zip: :whistle: πŸ˜†

3. boban62 says:

Pam besides you're a great artist and aesthetics, and you're a gourmet? πŸ™‚

4. BabyJay99 says:

πŸ™‚

5. pthhieubilly says:

cool bridge. But it's so dangerous :p

Originally posted by boban62:

and you're a gourmet?

Bopban, do you mean a gourmet cook? No, not really. I do like to make soups and salads but that is all. Originally posted by pthhieubilly:

cool bridge. But it's so dangerous

Billy, thank you and yes, it does look dangerous because the gorge seems so deep.

7. boban62 says:

Pam, Enjoy gourmet food, but knows how to prepare good food. My English is very bad sorry.

8. 1bluebox says:

i remember driving with my grandparents over wooden covered bridges in the deep south (alabama and tennessee). they creak and moan and there is a feeling of the wheels of the dodge rolling over the slats. brings back some good memories for me. bridges are a work of art. imo. went to a natural bridge (it has fallen now) down there in travis county, texas (i think). it was wonderful what nature did with that rock and earth. walked across it and the next year they closed it to the public and we could only view it. it fell years back, but it is still an attraction if you ever get down in that area.

It doesn't really look that dangerous … unless one jumps off, of course, and that's not really the bridge being dangerous. I suppose that it might be dangerous in the case of a severe earthquake or asteroid strike, but anyplace could be dangerous in those circumstances.

I couldn't drive on that bridge, may-be if someone else was driving I could go on it so I could close my eyes. The waters of Oak Creek looks cool. I'd love to see the area and red rock area.

11. 1bluebox says:

i'm in pam, let us plan a 'road trip' and get hollywood to finance it!!!!!!! anyone else up for a road-trip?

Originally posted by derWandersmann:

anyplace could be dangerous in those circumstances.

That I agree dW. I suspect bungee jumping is not allowed on this bridge because of the rocks jutting out below.Originally posted by boban62:

knows how to prepare good food

Boban, I think it is wonderful when a man cooks. I have been married twice and neither husband would cook saying it was woman's work. I think your English is fine. I understand everything you are saying. Originally posted by 1bluebox:

wooden covered bridges

Deborah, I vaguely remember going over some of those wooden ones on different trips when I was young. Usually on the way back to Indiana. We do have a couple of natural bridges in Arizona. One is in Payson, Arizona and the other is somewhere near where the above bridge is. It's called Devil's Bridge. There's even a YouTube video of Devil's Bridge. Originally posted by Dacotah:

The waters of Oak Creek looks cool

It is really a pretty area Carol and I'll definitely do a post on it when I find the photos. I was a passenger going over this bridge. It has me so curious now that I want to see it again and see if the area has changed in 30 years.

13. JanndeSmit says:

Beautiful picture. It looks very high on that bridge. I'm living in a very flat country, with a lot of water. And bridges. Follow the link to read and see it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeland_Bridge

Hey, Sedona Arizona. It rhymes! :pI was looking at the Google map and they had this thing marked the Steamboat Tank. What is that? I can't imagine any steamboats in that area. :lol:(Sorry I got to the ball late, but I lost one of my slippers :p)

Originally posted by 1bluebox:

and get hollywood to finance it

That'll be the day. πŸ˜† Originally posted by edwardpiercy:

Steamboat Tank

Ed, I think one of the mountains is shaped like a steamboat, another shaped like a teapot and one like a bell. Bell Rock, Sedona is where they had a New Age Convergence gathering. I went to one. I must find the photos of that too. Originally posted by JanndeSmit:

It looks very high

It is but I wasn't able to find how deep the gorge was. Thanks for the link. It sounds like an interesting place you live. Will have to read more and visit your blog too. Welcome.

16. daxonmacs says:

Nice picture Pam.The variety in US landscapes never ceases to amaze me.Living in le plat pays, those rocks and mountains are astonishing to see.

17. croge-ma says:

watch this bridge in norway .vemork in rukan. http://www.zinetravel.no/article/342 and some beutifull aereas in telemark. http://turdagbok.no/Default.htm its only on norwegian but photos can say muthc. sorry for my writing

18. Zulia says:

its beautiful…….and whoaaaaaaaaaaaI feel dizzy………feels like going to fall down….my feet is getting numb…..hooooooooooooooooo

It might have changed in 30 years. πŸ˜€

20. 1bluebox says:

in these parts ed, a tank is the same as a man-made watering hole —- i.e. most oil men use a tank to water their livestock and keep catfish for supper. there is a tale about the steamboats that brought the settlers up the missippi river and there's anoher about the steamboats encouraged the steamtrains to carry folks about our great nation. many places hold the name of steamboat mountain, tank, ranch, and/or road. they usually refer to the fact that you can travel them and get from one place to another.

Originally posted by daxonmacs:

The variety in US landscapes never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks Danny. I agree about the variety in US landscapes. Just in Arizona alone, there is much to see. As long as I've lived here, I still haven't seen everything. We have three small towns in southern Arizona that have vineyards all over. Another town with a bird sanctuary. And another with two interesting looking buildings running scientific agricultural and environmental experiments, can't think what it's called at the moment. Plus, there is ArcoSanti. Have been there but didn't take photos. That would be an interesting post I should do.

That would be an interesting post I should do.

I'd enjoy seeing as much of Arizona as you feel up to posting on. It's a very interesting region of the country. :)@crm – really enjoyed the bungee jumping photo.

crm: Thanks for the links. Do you bungee jump? I would never try ever. Norway is a beautiful country and I would love to see it. Maybe someday. Zulia: It is beautiful. I get the same way when in high places and I feel as if my body starts to sway. That's why I don't get to close to the edge. I think it's called vertigo.Carol: In the next couple of weekends, I want to take a drive up there and try to take a photo of the exact same spot to see what has changed.

Originally posted by croge-ma:

sorry for my writing

You can atone for your bad writing by sending me some tickets: Milwaukee to Norway.

Here is info on the history of the Biosphere project.

Deb, I've been going through a monumental amount of old photos and as I come across the ones of travels in Arizona, I try to post them.Just remembered the place doing the scientific studies. It's called the Biosphere.

Deborah, thanks for the info. :up: πŸ™‚

I like Oak Creek ,nice place to get suntanned. I would go picnicking there among the rocks. Great! Are there any gold mines over there,Pam?

Originally posted by maryamt08:

.great photo Pam..

Thank you Maryam. Originally posted by FIFINELEB:

Are there any gold mines over there,Pam?

I don't know if there is any gold in this area or not Jean, but I'm sure there are some abandoned mines. There's definitely old gold mines in The Superstition Mountains, hundreds of them probably, all abandoned years ago.

30. Zulia says:

The Superstition Mountains???? cool name…..how Superstition are the mountains?

Originally posted by Zulia:

how Superstition are the mountains?

I don't know but it is said there are ghosts of all the lost gold miners roaming around them mountains. I would never hike too deep into them because they are huge and very easy to get lost in.

32. cakkleberrylane says:

WOW!! Awesome rock!! It must be a beautiful place to hike!

Yes, Lois, the Sedona area has some great hiking trails. I want to go back there soon.

34. SittingFox says:

That bridge looks most giddying! :eyes: Love the colour and stripes of the rocks.I've got family in Flagstaff, which, looking at the map, doesn't seem too far from Sedona.

No it's not far at all….in fact, when I travel from Phoenix to visit a friend in Flagstaff, I pass through Sedona. I think it's about half way between, something like that. With the photo, derWandersman fixed it a bit for me and I switched mine out. My old photo was a bit faded. His fix shows more the true colors in Sedona.

36. Weatherlawyer says:

Originally posted by Painterwoman:

do not remember crossing the bridge. They scare me so I probably blocked it out. I looked in vain for info as to how deep this gorge is but found nothing. In a minute, I'm going to add a satellite view of this area which is very cool

The brochure pictures do not do any justice to any thing or any body. And there is no bridge in your picture of the bridge.What you need to do is a painting to draw out the magic of your countryside. A sort of composite of the engineering depicted in the tract and the beauty of the landscape in the photo you took.Something in the style of Turner. Just throw it on, let his spirit be your guide.Actually it would make a nice theme for tiles for your floor. Using found stones instead of tiles. (A bit uneven though unless you can afford one of theose terazzo stone floor polishing machines.)I wonder what the Romans used.Or maybe in wood so it can sit on your asphalt?