The Scroll

As promised in a previous post, here are some close ups of the scroll I have worked on. I actually started it almost three years ago and get it out every once in a while to dabble at it. This you have seen before with the self portrait.

Here’s a view from the opposite direction. The self-portrait is at the far end. You can also see I need to mow my grass.

Next to the self-portrait and the tree are three faces, all of which are copies of three paintings I have in my studio. Sorry the angle is off and you can see wrinkling of the paper. More drawing is called for on two of these faces.

Next to the three faces is the water scene. I’ll be adding more fish, shells and vegetation to this area. This section is about four feet wide. The others are about three.

Here is a closer view of the star fish.

Here is a closer view of a sea shell and two fish. These fish represent Pisces. The fish are done with cut pieces of magazine pages and glued on like a collage. Not sure if that was a good idea or not. The white you see is actually due to sun reflection on the shiny magazine paper.

75 Responses to The Scroll

1. Dudley says:

Color added later or B/W only? Just curious.

Can't wait to see it when you get it finished, Pam. You have a mural in the making there.

Andy, this will be black and white only. So far all done with black Sharpie markers with various size points. I may try some type of black pencils as suggested to me by Scott and derWandersmann. Star and Siddiqui, thank you. It began as an assignment in a class but now has evolved since I'm no longer in school as of three years ago. Linda, I may end up cutting it off at a certain point. It's 15 ft now with quite a bit more on the roll. I was thinking the roll might be 100 ft, but maybe not that long. Have never rolled it out all the way. But who knows.

This is a really cool idea, Pam.:up:

5. DpRabbit says:

I love the star fish and the fishes which represent Pisces.:love: Makes me want to get away to the ocean again. 🙂 (My date of birth belongs to Pisces) Wonderful work :up:

Interesting. I see there is writing near the beginning. I think it starts, "Life really is like a tree…". Would you mind sharing what it says?

"Life really is like a box of chocolates….sometimes you get some nuts!"

😆

Originally posted by DpRabbit:

Wonderful work

Thank you. My sign is Cancer so I will be drawing in a crab somewhere in there too.Originally posted by debplatt:

Would you mind sharing what it says?

It reads: "Life really is like a box of chocolates….sometimes you get some nuts!" My own spin off from the Forrest Gump quotation.

:up: Awesome.

10. claudeb says:

My sign is Cancer

Small world, isn't it?Off-topic: I love your new profile picture.

Interesting and unusual idea – at least for me. We will see how it will look like when it is finished. So far, good 😀

Originally posted by Dacotah:

Awesome.

Thank you Carol.Originally posted by claudeb:

Small world, isn't it?

What day is yours Claude? Originally posted by claudeb:

I love your new profile picture.

Thank you. Originally posted by gdare:

Interesting and unusual

Thank you Darko.Originally posted by gdare:

We will see how it will look like when it is finished.

Hopefully, I'll still be on Opera in a few years because I think that's how long it will take me to finish it unless I cut it off at, say, 20 ft. or so.

13. claudeb says:

What day is yours Claude?

July the 7th. Smack in the middle. And you?

Originally posted by claudeb:

were you into New Age stuff, or just the more conventional, well, mysticism?

A little of both. One of my favorite books then was Shatki Guwain's Creative Visualization. I must confess I didn't read a lot back then as I was too busy with children and reading to them.

15. claudeb says:

A little of both.

If was quite fashionable back then, wasn't it? Not that this stuff is in any way unpopular now, but it no longer has the same impact as in the hippie times.

16. claudeb says:

Actually, Gemini comes in-between Taurus and Cancer. Had to check myself, wasn't sure anymore. Good thing Wikipedia is at hand. ;)Just out of curiosity, were you into New Age stuff, or just the more conventional, well, mysticism?

17. lekrot says:

What a great work, nice post, which I hope will be updated.

June 25, sort of on the cusp after….Taurus is it? I used to know all about the signs but have forgotten a lot of it. It was something of a sixties and seventies thing. Not even sure if I still have my books on the subject.

i'm glad you're planning to finish it pam.that's the hardest part about painting for many of us… finishing. :heart:

Originally posted by claudeb:

If was quite fashionable back then, wasn't it?

Definitely. I remember being in a night club and just about the first words out of anyone was: "What's your sign?" 😆 Originally posted by lekrot:

I hope will be updated.

Thank you Torkel. I'll work on it over the next few months so it'll be a while before I post on it again.

Whoa! Wait a minute. What do you mean you'll draw in a crab sometime? Do you mean there isn't one in there already? From the get go, I sure thought I was seeing a crab in there … a mischievous-looking crab. If it isn't a crab, what IS that shape to the left of the starfish? Well, at least I see it as a crab if the that 5th picture were to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

22. cakkleberrylane says:

Forget cutting the grass! Your art is awesome!

Originally posted by Suntana:

what IS that shape to the left of the starfish?

I thought it was a nautilus shell.

No, Deborah, NOT that shape. I mean immediately, closer to the starfish. However, you would have to think in terms of that that picture is sitting on its left side. Thus, with the way the picture is oriented here in the Post, the crab I'm seeing is on its side … NOT flat on its belly.To help you see to what I'm referring … there are 2 things there to the left of the starfish that definitely look like eyes to me. They are oriented vertically. When I put those 2 things together with what's around them, to me it looks like a crab … or perhaps a Sting Ray / Manta Ray.

And to top it off, there appears to be a tiny Jester-like Panther-like face with a Fu Manchu to the left of the Crab / Sting Ray. :eyes: What would THAT shape be?

Originally posted by cakkleberrylane:

Forget cutting the grass!

😆 I did. Still haven't done it. It's the remnants just before the grass went dormant for the winter….that one last time you mow and then the mower gets put away for a few months. Originally posted by debplatt:

a nautilus shell.

Yes, I had a picture similar but didn't finish the drawing. I like your picture better than the one I was using. I love the insides of shells.

Originally posted by I_ArtMan:

i'm glad you're planning to finish it

That's why I may cut it off at a certain point rather than do the entire roll of paper. Originally posted by Suntana:

a mischievous-looking crab.

Are you talking about those eyes? No, it's not a crab…they're just eyes.

Looking at it again, the picture before, it looks like a manta ray.

Ah, I see what Chuck is talking about. The eyes belong to the crab which is standing on it's head, although it could also look like a clam with eyes.

Originally posted by Suntana:

a tiny Jester-like Panther-like face with a Fu Manchu to the left of the Crab

Hmmmmmm…..I really hadn't intended it to be anything but squiggles. But then, my squiggles sometimes turn out to be 'real' things….or should I say 'make-believe' things.

You are welcome Pam. 🙂

stellar Pam! absolutely stellar!

Originally posted by L2D2:

looks like a manta ra

It does Linda. I might make it that.Originally posted by ellinidata:

absolutely stellar!

Thanks Angeliki.Originally posted by Phantom2:

then roll it out onto the pier

That sounds like a great idea! Make sure the wind isn't blowing though.

34. Phantom2 says:

I still think this paper roll thing is so cool. I have to get one to doodle on this winter…and then roll it out onto the pier when it gets warm and…..:up:

thanks so much for sharing this with us, Pam- I really loved looking at the sea shell and two fish- it is interesting to me that you have sea items in your self-portrait- I took two art classes my senior yr in college & one assignment was a self-portrait – I will post it in my albums & give you the link… it, too, has sea items…

It's a beautiful work, Pam. How did you come up with this idea? Very creative.

Ancient Phoenix scroll reveals it secrets!Very cool, Pam. Really like the starfish — looks very much alive.

You know … the Crab / Manta Ray also could pass for Jaba the Hutt playing Peek a Boo. 😆

39. Phantom2 says:

That sounds like a great idea! Make sure the wind isn't blowing though

That's what beer bottles are for…holdin things down. I call it…recycling! :up:

Nah, beer bottles are for pot shooting, target shooting, P2. 😀

Jill: Thank you. I've put water, shells and leaves in several pieces of artwork. No leaves in this one yet but I'll be adding at some point. The tree in it now is my 50 yr old Sumac tree. I want to add some leaves from my Silver Dollar Eucalyptus as I love their shape. L.D.: Thank you. The start of this scroll was from an assignment at my last semester and I just continued it.Ed: Ancient scroll huh….maybe I should bury it. 😆 I like the starfish too. Looked on line for more pics and found some fabulous ones with really long tentacles almost like an octopus. Carlos: 😆 Well Jabba the Hut could represent someone I once knew…the Pisces man. P2: I can say this scroll is recycled too since it's butcher paper. But fortunately not used. Linda: Ya know, I've never been target shooting ever.Deb: That was hilarious!

I used to love to go target shooting. Line up coke cans/bottles, and shoot em. I was a good shot before I got so decrepit and shaky. Love firearms.

I inherited a largish gun collection. Many decades ago, I did do some target practicing with a .22 rifle and with a shotgun, but not since. And I've never used a handgun. I've been thinking of going to a shooting range where I could get some pointers.

Originally posted by L2D2:

I was a good shot

What kind of firearm did you target shoot with?

Nothing special. I learned to shoot with my dad's single shot bolt action .22 rifle. Later, I had a .22 9-shot semiautomatic that I really enjoyed shooting, a Browning .32, and a .357 Magnum. I enjoyed shooting the latter, but had to use a dead rest because it was too heavy for me. Also enjoyed .420 shotgun. .12 gauge was too much for me—kicked like a mule.

:eyes: You girls have fired more guns than I did in my entire life :left: Let`s see, there were several air guns while I was competitor in my primary school, then M48 7.9mm bolt action when I was in high school, .22 bolt action too; while in army I had M70AB2 7.62mm (Serbian version of Ak-47); few hand guns too, M70 9mm, M57 7.62mm (Serbian version of Tokarev) and Beretta 92 9mm.

well let's go out and shoot the .357 Linda. I would really get into that with you, seriously. :up:''

When I was 14, I went wild boar hunting with my best friend and her family. She and I would go traipsing around in the desert by ourselves. She carried the rifle. I was mainly afraid we'd get lost because we walked far enough where we could not see the camp, only miles of desert and mountains. She was like a true desert rat.

I have a niece whose deceased husband had a gun collection that was worth several hundred thousand dollars. He had several gun cabinets and display cases full of guns of all kinds. I never saw the whole collection, but it was a high dollar hobby, and he was a big hunter. Don't know if Cheryl sold it, kept it, or gave it to her son after Jack died.