What to do with that left over turkey

Simply make turkey chili!

Las Palmas Turkey Chili

2 T oil (use the good oil w/ no trans fat)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 – 10oz can Las Palmas Red Chili Sauce
2 – 15oz cans Las Palmas Chili Beans
1- 12oz jar Green Chili Salsa
3 Cups diced cooked turkey meat

garnish w/ a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in Dutch oven; add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sautรฉ over medium heat until veggies are tender. Stir in Red Chili Sauce, Beans, Green Chili Salsa and turkey. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 min. Serves 6.

I did not put the shredded cheese on mine but the sour cream was nice as it took the bite out of the spiciness.

I got this recipe from a can of Las Palmas Chili Beans. I have used other brands of everything but I like Las Palmas the best.

*************************
The trip to Fargo was fast and furious with lots of cooking, eating, and talking with family and good friends. A great time was had by all. Will have more pictures at a later date but will share one new updated photo of my Kathy's baby belly:
No, it's not a too much turkey belly, it's a baby belly! Hahahaha.

Plus, I thought I'd share an old family photo from either Thanksgiving or Christmas around 1975. I no longer have that red plaid suit. What was I thinking?! :

My sister, mother, Aunt Ruby, brother, me, my son Mike, my dad

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to What to do with that left over turkey

1. thetomster says:

๐Ÿ™‚ the red plaid suit is hilarious :up: … sometimes I'm really happy having no pictures from the 70's left :D:doh: it's the baby belly, first thought it was a belly after eating so much :whistle:

Originally posted by slackwrdave:

Recycled turkey leftovers. It's the best

Dave, you're right! I love turkey sandwiches but absolutely love this chili. Tried turkey in an omelet once and didn't care for it so it's great to find something else to do with it.

3. slackwrdave says:

Yummmm! Recycled turkey leftovers. It's the best!

My mom always bought a 'way bigger turkey than was necessary … for the sandwiches. We all loved 'em.

Yeah that suit was hilarious. There are several photos of me in it, unfortunately. :ko: ๐Ÿ˜† And, yes, I think all our bellies were protruding a bit after a big meal. I can never eat a huge amount. Everyone made fun of my plate because I'd put a small spoonful of each item in a circle all around the plate. No one could believe that was all I was going to eat. I reminded them that you taste as you cook so I was already full. Of course, we all seemed to be eating yet again a couple hours later.

Was friends with a family who had turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Traditionally, the oldest son made Turkey Soup the next day with the remains. I never ate any of it but my son, who was close to this family, said it was delicious.Kathy is blooming well. ๐Ÿ˜€

Originally posted by gdare:

it would be a piggy instead of turkey

That is what I'm going to cook for Christmas. OR, I may order one of those spiral cut hams from a grocery store. I love ham and for years, everyone always wanted turkey for both holidays. Now, since I'll be hosting in my own house, it WILL BE HAM! ๐Ÿ˜†

8. thetomster says:

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by thetomster:

first thought it was a belly after eating so much

I thought that too :doh: :lol:If we had Thanksgiving day in Serbia it would be a piggy instead of turkey :chef:

Originally posted by derWandersmann:

'way bigger turkey than was necessary

I always did that too then made a good stock from the bones and remnants still on the bones for good soup later. Then when we were all tired of sandwiches, I started making the chili.

Originally posted by L2D2:

Kathy is blooming well.

That she is and is doing very well. She feels good and has lots of energy.

๐Ÿ™‚

I don't much like garlic but I was thinking cilantro?Impossible to find the hot cilantro up here in WA, though.Uh, about that red plaid suit…:lol:PS sounds like a very busy holiday and looking forward to hearing more about it, if you want.

Then when we were all tired of sandwiches,

Impossible!Originally posted by PainterWoman:

I may order one of those spiral cut hams

There's a company up here called "Honey Baked Ham" that does a land-office business around this time of year, and through Easter … I once had to drive to the store to pick one up for my boss … I barely got back to the shop without eating any. I was glad it was her car and not mine … the smell would have stayed in there and driven me nuts. I later had some, and I've gotta say that I've never had a better ham, not even when I made it myself.

That is what I'm going to cook for Christmas.

Now you remnded me on one old joke.Two piggies are talking and one asks another:Do you believe in life after Christmas?:lol:

@ Darko.:lol:@ Pam.Hey you know if you can get the hot cilantro there in Phoenix I'll pay for the cost and the shipping and a little of this // for you also. I know people up here who would love to get the hot stuff.

I love cilantro too and may try some sprinkled on top of the turkey chili. However, I'll have to wait till the next turkey I make….next year probably.Cilantro and goat cheese is great on plain old canned pinto beans too. Makes a very cheap dinner.More about my trip later when I get the film developed.

Darko: Poor piggie! ๐Ÿ˜† Carol: :happy: Ed: If you are serious, PM me your address and we'll give it a try. I'd have to send it Express so it'd get there the next day. It is really strong smelling so I'll ask someone at the store how to wrap it, double bag it, or whatever.dW: I think that's the same company a few miles from me. Now my mouth is watering for ham….seriously! It was watering for tamales over on Dave's blog. Maybe I need to eat lunch.

Well why don't you let me know cost/quantity and we can try it. I'll send you the money up front. You'll have to let me know how much to add on to make it worth your while. And then the first time I'll give you the estimated shipping plus box cost. I think cilantro lasts about a week or so, yeah? In any case overnight or 2-day would be the way to go. Okay, so first just let me know about how much it will cost and how much.

Ed, it wouldn't cost much to buy a couple of bunches of it and probably about $12 to overnight it. Forget about the dollars. Consider it a Christmas gift. I'd love to find out if it actually made it ok.

Well, that's quite a lot of money for you. I do realize though that there might be certain privacy issues involved. I'll tell ya what, I'll PM you my address and we'll go from there, yeah?

Originally posted by edwardpiercy:

I do realize though that there might be certain privacy issues involved.

Yes, I just might send you a truck load of cilantro. :p

LMAO. *Note to self: find a recipe involving a truckload of cilantro*Thank you.

soup recipe looks excellent! I love leftovers… we usually make a turkey wild rice soup &/or turkey pie.your daughter's belly is exciting!! you must be so happy- must be hard to wait!

I'm so glad you had such a happy visit with your family for Thanksgiving, Pam, and that you made it home safely.Looking forward for more to come about the visit.:up::smile:

26. Tabmartel says:

I cannot wait to make this.I just happened to have bought a turkey breast yesterday!WooHoo!I think you all look adorable in the picture..thanks for sharing your memory ๐Ÿ™‚

I just kissed my screen… that belly looks beautiful! I have to come back and read the other comments later ! Love ya! :heart:

28. slackwrdave says:

I need a turkey sandwich pretty bad about now. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Pam, I too had a (now) hideous circa 70s plaid outfit. There was a jacket and a floor-length skirt. OMGoodness. Oh, and it had a pair of matching pants! I have some pictures somewhere, or used to if they weren't among those lost in storage. Not sure I care to post it, though, even if I can find it. How ghastly it would look now!

๐Ÿ˜† she has to know the singing wasn;t for her :pso there! she has to deal with it! *hugs* and I am very VERY happy for all of you :heart:

Jill and Tab: It's very delicious and the only chili I actually make from scratch. Well, not exactly, but close enough. Soups I make all the time so finding this easy chili recipe was a great find in my book. :happy: Star: Yes, it was a wonderful visit. Short but every minute filled with talks and hugs and laughter. :happy: Dave: Ohhhh, sorry :awww: , wish I could make you a sandwich. Only thing is the leftovers are in Fargo. Angeliki: I kept touching her belly, then singing to it. I think she got annoyed with me. :zip: :awww: Linda: I can't believe I actually wore that suit to work. I mean, at the time I loved it but it got old really fast for some reason. I must have gotten too many "Wow, that's really plaid" comments. ๐Ÿ˜†

She ought to be used to me by now.

hahaha she is lucky not to be around me ! I can be a touching lots aunt Angeliki to that baby too! :p I love touching and hugging and kissing , :happy: it is in my blood too…. I can so relate to it!:heart:

Very happy you got to spend time with your loved ones, and it must have been a special treat to visit Kathy while she's pregnant.Thanks for sharing the turkey-chili recipe. I love chili, and I look forward to trying it out.

Well, I did it in a restaurant so maybe that's why she got embarrassed I guess. Tough toenails! She ought to be used to me by now. ๐Ÿ˜†

Lovin, touchin, sqeezin…each other.:lol:Courtesy of Linda's blog music player. :p

36. toridei says:

he he nice family pic from the past….it always give you that feeling 'how time flies..' right he he :p

37. Tabmartel says:

I had a ghastly pair of plaid pants..Plaid pants were in then-Just like parents throughout history, mine shook their heads wondering how I could walk out the door looking like that!Now when people ask me if I want to die of old age I respond by saying "I hope the good lord takes me before plaid comes back into style" lol

Originally posted by edwardpiercy:

Lovin, touchin, sqeezin…each other.

hey we are talking about a baby/mother to be here! lets not have wild thoughts Eddie! it is all family oriented ๐Ÿ™‚

Deb, I had several of those frilly shirts. They were called something……darn, can't think of it. Edwardian? I kept that shirt for twenty years!

Deb: Thank you. Yes it was a special time. I enjoyed every single minute. Angeliki: I am somewhat subtle but coming from Italian stock, Kathy shouldn't mind my bit of goofiness of singing the ABC's to her belly. Then at home i began singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Ed: Yup, there's nothing like lovin, touchin and squeezin. Stefan: Looking at old photos sure does make you see how time flies. Tab: Now if this was a Madras Plaid suit, it would have been more subtle. Madras plaids were very pretty and I had a few shirts. This was in the 60s. LD: Yes, her tummy is lovely. She joked about her belly button being so noticeable and I told her to wait another month or two and it will be an 'outey' instead of an 'innie'. I used to think I looked most like my dad but the older I've gotten, the more I look like my mom.

๐Ÿ˜€ By the way, if you were blond in your suit, it totally reminds me of the blond lady in the ABBA band ^^ It's raining here. Hope you have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

Dare to be plaid! (also love the frilly shirt)

First of all, please send my congrats to Kathy. Her belly looks so lovely :love: So glad to know that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and enjoyed your time with your family. Thank you for sharing your family photo. You look like your mommy ^^

I loved ABBA! It was rainy yesterday but today is clear and sunny. Hope you have a nice day too.

Then at home i began singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

hahahaha I can hear you in my mind singing and I just smile and sing along! :p

i did have piles of turkey left over from thanksgiving dinner with friends. but i've eaten it all. i will try this recipe though. it looks good. we probably have las palmas in our local stores.funny about your behavior in public… lol. guess people never get used to the freedom some of us feel in demonstrating in public. :happy:

Originally posted by ellinidata:

I can hear you in my mind singing

Angeliki, now I sing to my dogs. Sometimes they like it. ๐Ÿ˜†

I don't believe I've ever had Turkey Chili. But, from the ingredients, it sounds good … without the Cilantro that Edward is suggesting, of course.The Turkey Soup … Ehhh, not per se thrilling me. I HAVE had Campbell's Turkey & Noodle Soup. It's OK in that regard, but as an outright — Alright, y'all, we're having Turkey Soup for lunch today … I don't know. I'd have to try it. It depends on how it was made.The 1st thing that came to mind with your Plaid Suit was that dude Herb from the old TV Show WKRP in Cincinnati. I believe it was his signature attire. I can't remember if it was a Plaid Coat or Pants or both. I just knew it was his thing. :lol:The 2nd thing that came to mind was a picture of me and my younger brother putting tar on the roof back in around 1975. I am up there in T-Shirt and :left: :right: Plaid Pants. :yikes: ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Scott, one thing I miss about traveling for Thanksgiving is not having any leftover Turkey! Since I'm making ham for Christmas, I'll have to wait a while and make a small turkey for myself at home for some other holiday. But I wonder if there are any small turkeys. Carlos: I sure remember WKRP and watched it all the time. Loved the characters in it. The chili is delicious but I didn't get a chance to make it. There were lots of people to eat up the leftover as sandwiches. As to turkey soup, I make mine almost like a stew, it's very thick with noodles and veggies. I make the broth from boiling the bones. Sounds yucky to do that, but it makes a good stock. I can visualize you on the roof with plaid pants. You must have worn them on purpose to get tar all over them. Where I clean a pool, the house is right on the golf course and I see lots of plaid. One guy had on pants and shirt in different plaids. Why? ๐Ÿ˜†

Are you kidding? No. I didn't want to get tar on them. Those were still some of my several good pairs of Plaid Pants. :doh: Plaid Bell Bottom Baggies. :insane:Okay, as a rich, thick stew, this Turkey Soup might be better.