Necessary things

1. Love

2. Health

In the past month, I've have had several tests done, three of which should be done yearly but it had been three years. The results of these three were all good, no symptoms of anything, and my teeth are still intact, although I do need to have a broken molar extracted and two 40 yr old silver fillings removed and replaced with the new stuff that's being used now. The old silver fillings are what causes teeth to crack and break off because the silver expands and contracts causing pressure on the teeth. Who knew? Since none of this is causing me any trouble at the moment, it will wait for a while. Sorry, no pictures of teeth cleaning or mammogram or pap test. The last test was a bone density exam. I'm not worried about this one either because I had one ten years ago when I was 51 and it showed my bones were that of a 20 yr. old. :yes: However, since I've gone through menopause, a bone density exam will tell if I have the beginning of osteoporosis. This is NOT the same as osteo arthritis, which I have.

3. Laughter

Especially. It does wonders. I laugh out loud when I come across old family photos and remember amusing things of the moment. The following photo was taken on Christmas Day 1982 with my three children. We were all showing something we'd received as a gift. When I brought the photos home to show the kids, I remember Kathy staring at this one intently. She then announced very seriously:

"Mom, you have triangle hair"

She stared at it again then asked why I and her brother had snow on our heads because it doesn't snow in Arizona. Mike was thrilled with his new 'boom box', Kathy loved her 'pom poms' and Suzy was too little to know anything other than she was sitting in mom's lap. It's the little touching memories like this that make me smile.

111 Responses to Necessary things

Ric, I probably should ask as the subject has never come up about what milk to use. I've tried soy milk and I just don't care for it.

Graham, I've known for a few years about all the bad stuff in milk but can't bring myself to stop drinking it. I've never tried rice milk. Will have to try some but not sure if it'll be available in a regular grocery store. A health food store would be my best bet. Linda: I drink milk by itself. I absolutely love it and whenever I buy a new gallon, I almost always have two 6 oz. glasses right then. Scott: What interesting info. Have never heard of this place. Funny that they look suspiciously at painters. That seems to be all over. People have always thought of painters as weird.

in transmoveria, the cows do smoke. it cuts down on the methane they emit. the people there let their animal stock graze in meadows full of weeds which enrich their milk (especially the dandelions). most of the natives of those high mountain regions live more than four hundred years. they also smoke a number of different homegrown tobaccos and cultured sativas which they reserve for the evening hours around their hearth.every one of them is an avid reader from an early age. the average number of hours the people work on maintaining their farms is 36 hours in a week. but they only work for three days 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.. they work very hard from dawn to dusk on those days. the remaining four days of the week are devoted to crafts like tapestries, rugs and functional pottery. some of them, both men and women, make furniture; others paint, but most look upon the painters with great suspicion.nb.: the painters live longer than anyone. the local understanding of that phenomenon is that they do only what they love. and when they work at so-called menial tasks, they do the work of two people.investigators from around the world deny that so many milk drinking cheese and egg eaters are as old as they say because they have no birth certificates. that is because no-one in these pristine mountains thinks they need paper to prove that they were born.

Originally posted by L2D2:

they see too much

Exactly. We see in other dimensions that people just do not understand and we can't explain it. πŸ˜€

Yeah, McLeod, that's a brazen thing to say when you are going to end up with heart problems or stroke, or COPD or lung cancer. Smoking is way more dangerous than milk. And milk doesn't contain cyanide and a bunch of other bad stuff. Your argument is at least half invalid. But, I don't drink milk by itself either. I have to have it on my cereal—and my parridge—and the other things that need milk, but I do not drink milk just on its own. It probably doesn't interact very well with nocotine. :p

Scott, will you give us directions to this Utopia? I must go there to find myself (and live to a ripe, ripe, ripe old age)Artists should never be trusted—they see too much and we cannot have that. An artist who WORKS? No way. πŸ˜†

wait a sec… i can explain it. we think; hard and long. we love with all our might. not as if it was a pastime like shooting ducks.now linda, as to the whereabouts of transmoveria, it's not a uttopia at all, it's simply all 'out of the way alpine valleys' which haven't any need for all the follderol of modern obsessions born of the need to know and the propensity to believe anything they hear; especially if it is printed in a book, and squared in its believability when penned by a phd. (person happily dumb) well, pardon me you twelve doctors out there who are not selling your soul for more money. and to the rest of them,is golf really that much of a pleasure?how can anyone believe anything when the operandi are lying statements concocted to sell the product. lies concocted to destroy a product, or a candidate, (fragile ground here for an apolitical man). advertising is the 'art' of lying. and the new fangled appellation 'spin' is the art of warping reality for public consumption. what's different between 'spin' and 'propaganda' ? nothing.

8. 1bluebox says:

i don't know about the transm… place, but that is interesting — cows that smoke?i drink milk because i like it too pam, i drink milk straight because my great-grandmother, both my grandmas and my mom said it was good for me to drink milk rather than coke. (coca-cola)i don't put sugar in much of anything i consume, because it should be a natural sweet; which milk can bring to a drink. i still have my own teeth (healthy) and plenty of finger and toe nails to trim. that was the lesson of my ancestors.while my smoking has stunted my growth, and greatly increased my chances of health problems …. i would cut out junk food and fast foods before i rule out drinking milk. but that is just my opinion.

Deb, I agree with you. Although I think the milk we drank as kids was probably more healthy, no hormones and no pesticides, I will continue to drink it. My teeth are still good too except for the darn silver fillings they used 45 years ago. They expand and contract, causing spaces for decay to enter, plus putting pressure on teeth causing them to crack and break. My dentist is going to take out one remaining old filling and replace it with….I don't know what it's called.

porcelain i hope. in rural areas anyone can still go to any farm and buy raw milk. it's not illegal.

My dad was a preacher, but the first nine years of my life, we lived in the country. We always had a cow, hogs, chickens and a big garden. Last cow we had was "Old Jolly" Jersey cow. Gave the richest milk I have ever seen. Milked her twice a day, and the milk had a good inch of cream on top. Very rich, and I drank a lot of milk when I was a kid. Fresh cream straight from the cow over a bowl of fresh blackberries with some sugar added—–oh, boy, yum. That was so good.

I remember that too. No such thing anymore. They take all that fatty good stuff out

I remember, early fifties, we still had a milk man setting your bottles of milk on the door step very early in the morning. There was always cream on top.

I used to use milk. Since non-dairy creamers came on the scene, I can't stand coffee with milk in it.

I love the photo, it is priceless. (and the hairdo) wasn't 1982 yesterday? I'm telling you it was. So glad you tests were of good report, too… and your report: love, laughter, health… good things to dwell on and be thankful for…

I have milk only a little bit in my coffee :coffee:

Jill: Thank you. Yeah, that was some hairdo and YES, 1982 was yesterday!

:lol:Pam, it is spam message, you can delete it anyway because the person will be blocked soon πŸ˜€

Ok πŸ˜€

Oh, I know Darko. It annoys me so I try to have fun with it.

Can't say exactly how long since I had milk delivered but believe it was in the 60s when my son was little.My birds love dairy products. Cheese is a favorite. Also ice cream.

we can get delicious ice-cream delivered here… but I never have… hmm.

23. Zulia says:

Ooooo that sounds heavenly! MmmmmNever had one like that!

Mmmmmmmm….I splurged a couple nights ago and went to the tiny market a half mile from me. Everything they sell is at least 50 cents more than a regular store. Bought two small containers of Dreyers, chocolate and vanilla, plus a gallon of milk. Got home and filled a tall glass half with milk, the rest with icecream to have a homemade shake. Yummy. Have enough icecream for two more.

Hip Hip Hooray for your for all practical purposes general A-Okay health status, Pam! :up: :up: I studied your alleged Triangle Hair, Pam.Verdict? I don't know that it is so much Triangle Hair as it is a precision-goaled Tri-Side Mathematical Model Hair Art Masterpiece. Yep, that should just about cover it. :up: πŸ˜€

πŸ˜† Don't study it too hard.Or it's an architectural masterpiece made to withstand the strongest of winds.

I think I have heard that Pyramids harness energy and or some kind of forces … presumably from the Cosmos / Universe. Do you recall any special extra Good Luck, intelligence, artistic creativity during the sporting of that hairstyle? Maybe you should fix up your hair like that again to confirm whether you WOULD harness some noticeable positives. :yes:Uhhh, not that I'm saying your hair was a Pyramid, mind you. It's just that it's possible that precision-goaled Tri-Side Mathematical Model Hair Art Masterpieces might work under the same principle. :whistle:

Oh, and somehow I was already receiving wierd ideas from the cosmos before the pyramid hair. :p

πŸ˜† My hair's too short now. The way the gray was coming in with wiry little explosion like tufts on my head, I had it cut it to bring some kind of control to it. At least now, with the strength and texture of the gray, my hair is a little thicker than it used to be. It was always thin and baby fine, which is why I got perms.

πŸ˜† Wait'll I find the photo of me with a fro. :yikes:

you should write them down pam, could be important. πŸ˜†

Whoa! Seriously? A Fro? We HAVE to see this!We NEED to see this! πŸ˜€

Chuck, I have a picture of me with a fro. Had driven to Tyler from White Oak where I lived at the time. Used to go clubbing with a lady and her daughter who lived in Tyler, plus a couple other friends who worked at Southland Distribution Center where I did. I have a picture of Liz and I before we took off to the club.Just realized, I drove about 30 miles to Liz's house, then about 30 more miles to a very large club in Yantis, Texas called The Yellow Rose of Texas. I cringe when I look at it now, but of course, it looked fine then. πŸ˜€ :yikes:

Nevin, thank you. Yes, I am happy too that I am healthy. Went for one more test today on my eyes. I need glasses for distance now but that is to be expected. That is one of my favorite family pictures. It is so hard to believe their ages now. The baby daughter is 27, the older daughter is 31 and my son is 40!

35. thesamanyolu says:

What a cute picture Pam! I am so happy that you are healthy. :love:

It's the kids that make us feel old.

That's for sure Linda. But also today when I was trying on different frames and getting prices, I had to look closely in the mirror. I don't know what kind of lighting they had but I sure didn't like what I saw. I'm thinking of just getting single lense glasses for the distance and keep them for driving. The readers I can still get at the drugstore for pretty cheap. If I got the bi-focals, they're like $400 plus! At that one place anyway. I'm going to a couple other places tomorrow and the weekend to shop around.

Peppermint, I'm envisioning y'all singing Donna Summers' Bad Girls.

Chuck, I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't think I know that song.You know what I did Pam? I went to a very good eye specialist here in town, and fortunately, Medicare paid for my visit because I have cataract among other things. They gave me a prescription for the lenses.I took them to Eyemart Express which is supposed to be so economical. They advertise 2 pair for $99. Yeah, right, only if it is single lense, and yadda, yadda, yadda. I got a price finally, after selecting a frame I like, of $199.00 for ONE pair.Our mall is across the street from Eyemart, so I betook myself there and asked Sears optical what they could do for me. I ended up paying $150.00 for an everyday pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses, my first ever. So shop around. If you have a prescription, you can choose whoever you want to get the frames/lenses. A lot of them in one area send the prescriptions to a common grinding lab anyway. And they did just as good a job as they would have at the specialist clinic, where what I got would cost at least $400. Think about it.

I had to work today then came home and worked the rest of the day on a project so didn't get to any eye glass place. I plan on calling back the place that quoted me $433 for the bi-focals to see how much less it'd be for just the single lense distance. I hate wearing glasses of any kind when I'm driving but the frames I picked out were light weight and the parts that go over your ears were open making it easier to see through them when you glance left or right into your mirrors. Plus they were purplish rose colored! There is another kind besides bi-focal and it's progressive lenses. There's no line across the middle. She said they were more and I didn't even have her quote me. Hoping to make it to Sears, Lenscrafters, Eyemart, Walmart and maybe a couple other places this weekend.

The only song I can remember of Donna Summer is She Works Hard for Her Money.

I have learned not to take anyone's word for anything when it comes to disposal of my money.

Originally posted by ossian42:

Now that IS civilised.

LOL and about the only thing πŸ˜€ :p

Toot Toot Hey Beep Beep!Really, Peppermint, you don't remember Donna Summer's Bad Girls?Do y'all remember – Last Dance?

I remember Last Dance too. I'd probably remember Bad Girls once I heard it but am terrible at recalling names of songs.

Last Dance, by Floyd Cramer? Sure. By Donna, no. I never knew songs by their titles, Chuck. Really. I would hear them on radio, no title given, so I learned them by phrases from the song.

Bad Girls I remember somewhat. Do not ever remember hearing Last Dance. Either I wasn't a big DS fan, or these were during a period when I wasn't listening to this kind of music. Depended a lot on which husband I was married to. :p Each had very different preferences in music.

48. daxonmacs says:

No, I guess you forgot that, when staring at the ceiling πŸ˜€

πŸ˜†