Watson Lake and Prescott, Arizona

Last Sunday, I took a day trip to Prescott, Arizona and Watson Lake with my son and his wife. First, we got coffees and walked around a bit in downtown Prescott. As of 2006, the population of Prescott is about 41,500. If I don’t move to Fargo, ND, Prescott might have one more resident as I very much like this town. It’s much smaller than Phoenix, older and slower paced AND about ten degrees cooler. Not that 10 degrees is very much but it seems even cooler because of the trees. This is a view of the county courthouse in the center of town.

Walking along Whiskey Row and looking at all the bars and shops, on the corner is The Hotel St. Michael. It was opened in 1901 and stands on the sight where the Hotel Burke used to be which burned in 1900 when part of downtown Prescott was destroyed by fire. On a commemorative plaque on the building I find that it was “Built of brick and stone, and is decorated with stone faces or “gargoyles” which allegedly represent crude images of local politicians.” 😆 I also find out that many distinguished visitors have graced the rooms of Hotel St. Michael, including President Theodore Roosevelt, John L. Sullivan, Jake Kilrain (don’t know who he is), Tom Mix (famous cowboy actor), Zane Grey (famous writer) and our very own Senator Barry Goldwater.

A boutique window display in one of the shops in the hotel.

One of the many saloons along Whiskey Row.

After about an hour, we drove the short distance outside of the city and arrived at Watson Lake. I thought Watson Lake was a naturally formed lake and it is not. From Wikipedia: “Watson Lake is one of two reservoirs at the Granite Dells, outside of Prescott, Arizona that was formed in the early 1900s when the Chino Valley Irrigation District built a dam on Granite Creek. The City of Prescott bought the reservoir and surrounding land in 1997 to preserve it as recreational land. Watson Lake was used in scenes for the film Billy Jack.”

We had a nice picnic under a tree and enjoyed watching the kaykers in the distance and some dogs playing in the water nearby. My son took a few photos of me and his wife but I have not received them yet. The photos here are mine taken with my still trusty Pentax.

This last photo is a different angle from the photos in my previous post about Granite Dells. I was astonished at how far out those men had to jump. Along the shore, I could see boulders underneath the water all around me, however, the water at the base of the cliff they were jumping from looked dark and I could see no boulders….but I still wouldn't have jumped. It looks as if the water level is about the same (or a little higher) this day as it was 20 yrs ago but you can see it has fluctuated.

That boulder on top looks like a giant skull.

More photos of the day trip here.

165 Responses to Watson Lake and Prescott, Arizona

1. thesamanyolu says:

Watson Lake and Prescott, Arizona…. hımmm wonderfull … I like it. :flirt:

Yes, Nevin, a wonderful place. I enjoy it very much.

3. thesamanyolu says:

Yes, Pam. It is wonderful place. It is a dream-real.

Well that's odd. I've never known you to have some outrageous nude painting on here. I've certainly seen photos that really do push the envelope and others that shred it. It could have also been Opera Personnel who happened to have seen the paintings and removed them. So, you mean that when the photos were removed, they were removed both from the Posts and from your albums?My favorite scene in Billy Jack:Billy Jack: You know what I'm gonna do just for the heck of it?Sheriff: What?Billy Jack: I'm gonna take this foot … I gonna Whop you on THAT side of your face. And you know what?Sheriff: What?Billy Jack: There's not going to be a damned thing you're gonna be able to do about it.Sheriff: Really?Billy Jack: Really!WHOOMP! Billy Jack does just exactly as he said he'd do.

Yep. Billy Jack was an official badass.

6. Henar says:

Nice trip… and I love the last photos. :up:

Carlos and Linda: Now I really want to rent that movie. What actor played Billy Jack? Oh nevermind, I can look on IMdB.Henar: Thanks. I will be going again….maybe next month and the next.

I was wondering,Linda, what is the feminine of "badass"? The opposite ? You know I don't know your language very well. Therefore I ask you.

Wooooooo! I just checked and I came pretty close with my recollection of the exchange. Here it is along with some of my other Fav Quotes from the movie:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066832/quotesThe 2nd exchange in there is the reason you may sometimes see me use the "Going Billy Jack" or "Going Billy Jack BERSERK" reference.

Yoda, Bad Ass is Bad Ass.Just like Huey Lewis & the News' song says, "Bad is Bad …" when it comes to Bad Ass, it is the same for both genders. You would NOT change it to Bad Assette. 😆 That would dilute the Bad Ass-ness factor of the term.I'm trying to think of a Female Bad Ass.Ummm, Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer? 😀 She and her nemesis Faith were Bad Asses.Oh, you probably know this one — Michelle YeohShe would be a Geometric Bad Ass, right? :whistle: 😀

Jean, I think Carlos answered your question pretty well. I don't think Linda is up yet.Carlos, now I can't wait to rent the movie.Graham, thanks, glad you liked 'em. Quite often I don't get notifications. Seems to be a bug that never goes away.

Here I am, listening to Loverboy and trying to catch up on subscriptions. I started with 20 something when I got up a bit ago, and after cutting a swathe through about 15 of them, I have only 31 left. 😆 They sneak in there while I am working on em.We had a thunderstorm here before I went to bed this morning, and our weatherman is saying that it is supposed to be this way all week—rain and thunderstorms and possibly tornadoes all week long. Oh, no! I will get all depressed if the weather stays this way over a couple days.

We don't get too much rain in JUly and Aug. normally. What we have had the last few days has been clouds, lots of thunder and lightening, and enough rain to wet the ground, then it stops. Just gloomy and ultra-humid. Yuk. Hate wet weather. Not good conditions for my lungs.

We had a nice loud thunderstorm about a week ago. The first rain in it seems like six months. We don't get enough. During the last month, I've seen the clouds all building up but nothing makes it to Phoenix. The out lying cities seem to get it the most.

Last night, I think after I had just gone to bed, it suddenly dawned on me that I had probably done a little screw up. I checked now, and yes, it was just as I thought. My comment about Michelle Yeoh being a "Geometric Bad Ass" probably went over Yoda's head. Heck, it probably went over everyone's head. That's because only Darko and Peppermint would have known what I was talking about. The weird thing is that the reason this happened is because while I started replying to Yoda, in mid commment, I somehow lost my bearings and was then thinking I was replying to Darko. :doh: So, with Darko being into Martial Arts and knowing about my "Geometry" reference, he would have probably gotten the Chuckle. 😀

😛 :lol:You know Yoda was a sword master, so I am old enough and I am master with sword, so you can call me Yoda 😀

The thing is, Fifi / Jean has already gotten dibs on the name Yoda. 😀

Think up someone else, Dare, another famous swordsman, or we can call you Bruce.:lol: Yoda worked hard to get that name and he might not be pleased if someone wlse appropriated it.

Darko would have to be Obi Wan Darkobi. 😀 Luke Blog Walker? Maybe not.

D'Artagnan.

Oh, Dare, do you tilt at windmills? Don Quixote?

I like Obi Wan Darkobi. But I also like D'Artagnan. So we will let Darko choose himself a pseudonym. Luke Blog Walker is funny. Bound for you Chuck.

I didn't know I had a twin brother. I am very happy .

Yoda, which of above characters would that be then? Hi! We told Dare he couldn't be Yoda because you already had that one.

Well,Carlos. I suppose I'll have to elucidate what I meant with "the feminine of the term "badass" It was a bad pun of mine. I was in one of my bad days with some misogyny. Answer: ashamed of myself now… "good…." which could be a compliment after all in some particular cases. I hope no female will read this.Que tengas una buena semana y muchos buenos culos alrededor que te quieran.(no malos!) Saludos.

Hi,Linda Dear. In my opinion "Ivanhoe" would be all right. Have a nice day. How is it that you're already up? It is 10 a.m. here.

I am not already up Yoda—I haven't been to bed yet. As I write this, it is 3:51 a.m.

May I kiss you good night,Linda?

So, in effect, you would be giving me a good afternoon kiss. 😀

Feel free, Yoda. Although, by your own admission, you are a mysogynist? Since this comment, I have slept and am up and ready to go again.

Well,well,well! "Always give a smart lady the last word" my old chap used to say. It is a matter of courtesy. I feel it is disappearing bit by bit nowadays and it is a pity. Kind and sweet regards to you,Linda.P.S. As far as the time is concerned I am 7 hours in avance. Thus it is complicated to say you good night. For the moment I 've just had my breakfast and am reading the news. And you're probably falling asleep on your farm.

It is 2:11 a.m. right now and I am about to go to my bedroom, take my allergy tablet, and read until I get drowsy, which will probably be about 3-4 a.m. by which time, you will be just about ready for brunch. 😀 or morning tea maybe.

Right,Linda. Make sweet dreams.

Just got back from a short road trip up near Flagstaff. Spent the night. The weather was wonderful with cool breezes through the pines. There won't be any photos, however, as it was rather chaotic keeping five dogs apart who didn't get along. My poor blind Camie got the worst of it. At least there was no blood drawn. Whew! It's good to be at my quiet home.

Damfino how you wound up down there in the damn desert anyway, Pam … the only habitable part of Arizona is north of the Rim, anyway.

I thought you must have been away Pam, because you have been quiet for a couple days. Hope you enjoyed your outing, regardless of dogs. Why five dogs? Whose else was there?

37. daxonmacs says:

Adventurous Pam lol. I am glad to hear you still go for it, but I know about the peace of the own fire too. You appear to be quite a woman, sorry to have misjudged you before. It's not my normal doing.

38. daxonmacs says:

Why, where do you live, dW, if you want to share it with us?

There's no place like home when it is stormy. It was even more frightening for Camie since it could not see what was happening. Have a nice resting day,Pam.

Jean, exactly. There's no place like home. I felt sorry for Camie because every time my other dog would start growling or barking, Camie would start, w/o any idea of what she was barking at. Linda, I did enjoy parts of my visit. It was good to see my friend who had been incognito for several months again. No one else was supposed to be up there but an hour after I arrived, her husband and one of her sons shows up. Her son brought his dog. So that was her two (a huge bassett, and a lab), my two old ones and her son's dog, which is a gorgeous Australian Kelpie. It was ten months old and just learning obedience but very aggressive in my book. My dogs are not social dogs as they never see any other dogs ever. Her bassett bit Camie's ear two summers ago. Then, this morning, the Kelpie pounced on Camie and had her by the neck. Luckily, Camie's thick fur kept her from being hurt. The bassett was howling, her bird was squawking, all the other dogs were barking, the tv was on……:faint:

Am still :confused: ….:lol: But let's leave it at that.

Dare I ask what category?

😆

And…I plan on photographing more of my work this weekend. I've got three rolls of film left from a five pack.

45. daxonmacs says:

Yeah, so much for planting 😆

Danny: Thank you but am a bit confused about this part of your comment…."sorry to have misjudged you before. It's not my normal doing." Did I miss something? dW: Anywhere up by the Mogollon Rim gets a mighty lot of snow in the winter. Have been to Showlow, Heber, Sunrise for Skiing, Pinetop/Lakeside….and I forget where else. Flagstaff gets lots of snow in winter so that's why I like Prescott. It isn't as high of elevation. How I wound up here is that my parents moved here in 1951 when I was 3 and I've never moved. Maybe it's time?

47. daxonmacs says: