Back to what I know

After the Swim
Acrylic on Paper
18 in x 24 in

A painting of one of my daughters done on gessoed bristol paper. Using acrylic paint, I could have painted directly onto the paper but I like to first give the paper a couple of coats of gesso. When applying the gesso, I use one of my older, beat up brushes. It is applied in sort of a haphazard fashion. In other words, it is not applied smoothly. I love painting on texture.

This painting was done a few years ago. The last week or so I've been doing a few quick paint sketches to get me back in the loop. They are similar in style to this painting. As soon as I get photos made of them, I'll post them.

71 Responses to Back to what I know

1. DBabbit says:

:up: Love the colors and her big expressive eyes! πŸ™‚

I like that kind of painting. I am far from being a painter and I don't know what style of painting this is, but I like it πŸ™‚

3. BabyJay99 says:

:up: πŸ™‚ beautiful

How :star:wonderfully:star: you Pam.

5. zetorres says:

It's beautiful! Great style, Pamela! :up: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Yes please show us more paintings! :):):)

6. Weatherlawyer says:

How many face are there supposed to be in there?

Pam,it is lovely!gesso does make a big difference,Scott likes texture too…thanks for sharing :heart:

8. lokutus-prime says:

Very beautiful painting Pam! It demonstrates your remarkable ability to bring to canvas an impression that is full of power, in color and vibrant impact. I understand this style of painting more than I understand "modern art", perhaps because this is realism and I can relate to it. Surreal art always leave me trying to discover what was in the mind of the artist and sometimes to even say to myself 'I could do that!' even if I could not. I know for certain I could not paint a portrait in the way and style that you have done here, and there's the salient difference in my appreciation and understanding of one style of painting from another style of painting, such as yours. I do like 'surreal art' but it must be on the same level as Hieronymus Bosch** to draw a gasp of admiration from me and to make an impact on me.Well done Pam :up:** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_Bosch

9. Dudley says:

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Ze: I've still got my 35 yr. old Pentax K1000. So, it will be a few days before I get all 24 exposures taken, then developed. Almost bought a digital (a Fuji something) around Christmas. It was on sale for $199. It is a little larger than the tiny digitals and, for me, easier to hold on too. Those tiny ones (like cell phones) would go flying out of my hands for sure. Andy: πŸ˜† Ok, I'll take em!

11. lokutus-prime says:

"Almost bought a digital (a Fuji something) around Christmas. It was on sale for $199 " I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ18, 18x Optical Zoom 35mm EQUIV. 28-504. It works for me.

12. zetorres says:

Great! :up:

13. zetorres says:

:lol::lol: some times they fly from my hands too…:lol:199$ I think it's a nice choice, my sister bought one last months and it's a fantastic Fuji, almost for the same price, 200 Euros of course is a bit more then $:up:

14. lokutus-prime says:

" Loku: Bosch's most famous triptych painted hundreds of years ago is astounding." Pam, I think I missed seeing Ed's blog. I can't recall the bosche painting he showed there (sorry, Ed) unless I go backtrack there now.Are you talking about the following one I have just looked at on link http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/bosch/delight/ ? I have seen this in Museo del Prado Madrid. It's astounding.

Denise: Thanks. She was born with big, beautiful, dark eyes. Just her stare told me exactly what she was thinking. Darko: This style would be 'expressionistic'. I used to draw the image first, then paint it. Now, I draw with the paint brush and stay loose with the brush strokes. Lea: Thank you. Clance: Thank you. Ze: Thank you and, yes, I'll show more paintings. Am in the process of photographing them. WeatherLawyer: Only my daughter's face. Andy: 5 stars? Thank you. Loku: Thank you. Bosch's most famous triptych painted hundreds of years ago is astounding. Edward Piercy had a blog post about war. The first pic Ed posted was part of Bosch's tryptich depicting war. Then Ed had photos of WWII and others about the current wars. Angeliki: Thanks. Yes, I do love that gesso.

16. Dudley says:

"5 stars?"…ok..ok…10 :star:'s ! πŸ™‚

I must leave for work and will be gone for a few hours.

Yes. In the upper left corner is what Ed showed on his post about war. Isn't Picasso's Guernica in Museo del Prado as well?These are two paintings I would travel to Madrid specifically to see in person.

19. lokutus-prime says:

"Isn't Picasso's Guernica in Museo del Prado as well?"Yes it is. I have seen it many times. It's now in the Reina SofΓ­a "Perhaps it was the transferring of PicassoΒ΄s "Guernica" to the Reina SofΓ­a for its permanent collection, which was the decisive milestone in it now being considered one of the most important contemporary art museums in the world." see http://www.spanisharts.com/reinasofia/reinasofia.htmThe Prado in Madrid, Spain, houses many (an understatement) of the finest paintings in the world and its vast collection of Art is stunning.

20. Weatherlawyer says:

It's full of faces. Look again.

WeatherLawyer: I will not acknowledge the other things/faces I see in it. There are times when painting in this expressive way, paint strokes are all over the place. If I'm in a particular mood, I often start seeing other things in the painting, then it changes to a whole other genre and is no longer a portrait. Many of my paintings do this and, if I let them, they become something I don't want. That's when I stop. Other times, however, I keep going. That is when they become paintings that freak people out and they wonder what I'm on. I have only photographed about 1/4 of my paintings and the freaky ones are not among them. However, there is this drawing: http://my.opera.com/PainterWoman/blog/the-centaur-and-the-angels-escape-from-hellwhere I let go with my mind and saw things no one else could and went to another realm. Some people outside of Opera were freaked out by it. There is another in this style which I may never photograph…but maybe I'll burn it.

Graham: Thanks. She was giving me a very intense look when I took the photo and I was hoping I captured the same look in the painting.

23. Weatherlawyer says:

Ah. That's better.Quite understandable.Gargoyles feature in TP's novels too. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. You want the NightWatch series for the undead and stuff. Does this look like your picture or does this look like your picture?

I don't really fear it. It's just that this portrait I wanted to keep free of gargoyles. If I paint someone other than my children, I'll let the demons I see in them come out.

πŸ˜† Yeah, she was giving me that 'why are you taking my picture look'! That's my girl!

26. Cynthia23 says:

:heart: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ :heart: Splendid Pam!

Thank you very much Cynthia.

I really like that painting.A stupid question, perhaps: It that blue thing on the edge of her nose some sort of nose ring?

Ah, that explains it. πŸ™‚

Thanks Ed. Funny but she asked me the same thing about the nose ring. No she doesn't have one. I added the blue at the end to highlight some things and had intended to come back and tone it down on the nose. I guess I forgot. Why I put it there, I'm not sure. Must have been one of those artist 'ethereal' moments.

31. wickedlizard says:

sheesh! One day??? You deserve a proper exhibition Pam! Where are the cultural peoples in your home? My longest exhibit was a month long, like that it's worth it! All of my others, were a week long. I've had a total of 6… and πŸ˜† only sold one painting! Not worried though… :p (apparently Van Gogh, only sold one whilst he was alive… :D) I do it, because I love to create… unfortunately, I go through different phases… sometimes I paint, sometimes I sculpt, sometimes I write… I must be in my dead period at the moment… have bought a new media for sculpting to try out… just have to kick myself into gear and start… :left: My friend is already kicking me to start… πŸ˜†

32. wickedlizard says:

Beautiful painting… me, wondering when I'll start up painting again… I have another invitation for an exhibition for next year… :faint:

Thanks Isabel. That's terrific that you got an invitation! The last time I exhibited was at what I thought was a popular coffee house. It was for one day only. I keep saying I'm never going to do those again because they are a lot of work to set up, hang around for anywhere from 4 to 6 hours, then take down and load all back into my car. Plus, that day it was 104 F. There was no foot traffic at all…maybe six people…and not one artist sold anything. I was thoroughly exhausted. We were all grumbling that we'd never do it again…but then we do. It's sort of a never ending quest.

I've had a few paintings be in shows where it stayed up for a month. There are larger, special event venues in Scottsdale, Arizona but it is very expensive to have a booth…anywhere from $300 to $1000 or more. Except for my printmaking, most of my work is 3ft x 4ft so it'd be impossible to fit in a small booth at any of the special event venues Scottsdale has. Plus Arizona is all about cowboys, indians, desert landscapes, sunsets and cactus. That's what sells here. Nothing else unless you hire a great art marketer to get your work all over the U. S. Scottsdale is also the place for hundreds of galleries. I was in one gallery about 12 years ago. Now you have to have all your work on a cd. They no longer accept you coming in with a portfolio. I also think Arizona is overpopulated with artists of all genres. IMO. Sometimes the work I see I think is just awful or boring and I wonder how these artists got represented. I think you have to be pushy and I am not and never will be.

SparkleTags.Com

I like your portait very much. such vivid eyes!

Hi ya Jean. Thank you. I'm glad you popped by!

Thanks Loku.

38. lokutus-prime says:

" I think you have to be pushy and I am not and never will be. " ….and you have lost nothing by being who you are. Good luck with your painting :up:

really nice, Pam! wow!

Thanks Jill.

You are welcome.

42. night wolf says:

:up: cool work :up: though i never worked with acrylic πŸ˜€ but i know it`s hard πŸ˜›

Thanks Amir. It's not so hard to work with acrylics anymore. I've gotten used to it. I just have to be prepared to work fast.

44. Weatherlawyer says:

How have they stood the test of time? I gather they have been out some 50 years.

45. night wolf says:

yup! πŸ˜€

46. Weatherlawyer says:

I was wondering how the actual artwork done in them has faired in the last 4 or 5 decades since they came out.The problem with oil paints was pulverising and grading the ores. With acrycics I imagine the use of organic dyes did away with that?But I know that if you mix PVA glue with anything it becomes a release agent, falling away from any surface it is applied to with gay abandon.I'm presuming PVAs are closely related. No real idea.

WL, so far, all the tubes and jars of acrylic paint I have are holding up but you have to use them up faster than w/ oil paint, say, within two to five years. I have found a few that have hardened completely if they've been unused for several years. Especially, if the cap hasn't been put back on tightly. I have a tendency to not put lids on tight because they are too darn hard to open. If the tube is new, never been opened and has been sitting in my art bin for five years, they are fine. Not so with the partially used ones.

48. Weatherlawyer says:

Next time I find a discarded pot of stone finished exterior paint I'll have a go at painting. I have loads of scrap MDF. I suppose plasterboard would do too.(I know, I really am cheap. At least I am honest with it. (Mostly.))I used to work for a glazier who experimented with emulsion and blue ink on his new house. But washable doesn't mean waterproof it means it will look bloody pale in a very few weeks.That was funny.

Great informative link. Thanks for that.