Goin’ Fishin’

Not really but thought I'd start my Thanksgiving post with a song by another favorite artist, Chris Rea:

However all my Opera friends spend there day today, I hope it is a pleasant one. I'll be making breakfast pizza which is something I've been making for more than 20 years and always seems to be a hit if I bring it to someone's home. I have made it for dinner at times too. I'm also going to make deviled eggs.

Recipe for breakfast pizza can be found on the Pillsbury site:

Many times I have used Jimmy Dean 'Hot' Sausage (cooked and drained) instead of bacon but, today, I'm using bits of ham instead of the bacon or sausage. Plus, I'm going to use a traditional round pizza pan rather than a rectangular cookie sheet.

We are not having the traditional turkey dinner because everyone had other places to go. Instead, we decided to have a brunch at my sister's house at 10am. Yikes! I better get busy. My sister will have granola w/ blueberries, my ex is bringing orange juice and champagne for mimosas, my brother and his wife are bringing a fruit salad. Not sure what my son and his wife are bringing. We'll also be watching a movie. My brother's bringing 'Bad Santa' with Billy Bob Thornton. We will save our usual 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' for Christmas day which, as I think about it, might be at my house.

I must get busy making the eggs and pizza, so will leave you with a few Thanksgiving poems I found on ancestry.com, plus another song.

All in a Word
By Aileen Fisher
T for time to be together, turkey, talk, and tangy weather.
H for harvest stored away, home, and hearth, and holiday.
A for autumn's frosty art, and abundance in the heart.
N for neighbors and November, nice things, new things to remember.
K for kitchen, kettles' croon, kith and kin expected soon.
S for sizzles, sights, and sounds, and something special that abounds.

A Turkey Speaks~Author Unknown

I have never understood
why anyone would
roast the turkey
and shuck the clams
and crisp the croutons
and shell the peas
and candy the sweets
and compote the cranberries
and bake the pies
and clear the table
and wash the dishes
and fall into bed
when they could sit back
and enjoy a hamburger.

Funny Bird(Author Unknown)
A turkey is a funny bird,
Its head goes wobble, wobble,
All it knows is just one word,
"Gobble, gobble, gobble."

One more song by Chris Rea. I love his voice and guitar playing.

Chris Rea on David Letterman:

Here's a bit of information about Chris Rea on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rea

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Goin’ Fishin’

I tried to upload a photo of a live turkey but haven't figured it out. Edward Piercy had an explanation to do it. I'll have to go back and try it again later. I must get to cooking.

2. Huong Lan says:

Ok, enjoy your cooking. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Huong Lan says:

Thanks for the recipe, Pam. The poem of "Funny Bird" makes me laugh. ๐Ÿ˜† I haven't seen a turkey yet but I saw its funny look on internet. ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Captivevet says:

Happy Thanks Giving! The turkey must die!Got any idea why Unasia abandoned his websight?:confused:

Maybe he's on a trip or has company for Thanksgiving weekend?

Thank you Fif. I wish you the same.

Happy Thanksgiving Pamela!!my companion and I stopped by to say hello and taste that pizza !!! :heart:

Thanks Angeliki. :heart: Hmmmmm…..I like that perfect turkey. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh, and regarding that movie 'Bad Santa' with Billy Bob Thornton….:eyes: I wouldn't see it again. I don't mind a bit of bad language but this one went overboard! There were only two good things about it and they were that it was filmed in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona and the delightful little boy in the movie. I kept wanting to give him a hug and sit on the couch to read him a story. I know there is probably a message in this movie…or maybe not…but it was lost in the continuous bad language. Except for the movie, the brunch was great.

this Turkey seems to have a perfect "neck " ๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜†

I like your idea of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. Except in my case, Hmmm … I wouldn't mind exploring having :left: :right: both the Sausage AND the Bacon. :happy: And … and what's wrong with throwing in some Scrambled Eggs in there? :yes: It reminds me of my days of making Hamburger Helper with Jimmy Dean Sausage instead of Ground Beef.I haven't seen either Bad Santa or Planes, Trains & Automobiles. I love seeing National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation though.As for – A Turkey Speaks … a good Hamburger is not a bad alternative.

Oh but the eggs are the last to pour on the pizza before baking (4 or 5 eggs mixed w/ 1/4 cup of milk). Click on the Pillsbury site to see the recipe and how to make it. It uses one package of Pillsbury Crescent rolls pressed onto a pizza pan. The sky's the limit really on what you put on it. You could put on all three meats if you wanted to. I like one at a time. We're all in our fifties and sixties, and try not to have too much meat. I've even cut down the amount of cheese a bit. Steve Martin and John Candy are in Planes, Trains…. Much nicer movie with a message and funnier too.

:doh: Somehow when I took a stroll through the recipe earlier, I missed the 4 eggs. It's that it doesn't mention them in the little intro, although by the Pic, it obviously looked like it certainly had eggs in there. I even glanced at the ingredients and seemed to have seen all the OTHER ingredient, except for the eggs. I had even read where you said you had to get busy making the eggs and the pizza. I took it to mean you were going to have them separately. Just one of those things. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

14. Captivevet says:

Well, I am back from Thanksgiving Dinner. The spread was unbelieveable!The Menu:Turkey (of course)VenisonHamYamsStuffed ZuchinniMashed potatosSix kinds of bread and rollsCranberry sauceTwo kinds of stuffingSalad w/celantroThree kinds of pie (pumpkin, apple, pecan)Various bottles of wine, some home made…CoffeeYep.

Hi Carlos, I made deviled eggs too. Some people call them stuffed eggs. You take hard boiled eggs, cut them in half, take the yolk and mixe w/ mayo, dry mustard, celery seed, and minced onion, then scoop it back into the white half. I think that's what I was referring to when I said 'eggs and pizza. Hi Tyler: It sounds like you had a good feast. Hmmmm…the cranberry sauce w/ stuffing is something we didn't have, along with mashed potatoes and gravy. But, of course, we had mostly breakfast type foods. I still have my Marie Callendars turkey tv dinner I'll probably tomorrow.

16. Huong Lan says:

Hi Pam, About Clance, he's fine. He just needs a break from Opera. :)Lan

17. Captivevet says:

I hope you are not up yet. I couldn't sleep so I gave up and got up. I think the unexpected load in my stomach kept me awake.:(

Hi Tyler and Lan. Yes I'm up. Got up around 6 am. Lan, I too got a return message from Clance saying he was fine and just taking a break. Tyler, I'm often up at 4 in the morning….unfortunately. I don't like waking up so early because I get so sleepy later in the afternoon. :coffee:

I love Deviled Eggs, Pam. :up: BTW, Pam, if you haven't tried it yet, try Sour Cream & Salsa on Pizza. The Salsa can be like Pace Picante Sauce or Homemade.Wooooooo, Tyler! :yikes: That IS a lot of food! Sounds like your spread was the size of Rhode Island! ๐Ÿ˜€ No wonder you couldn't sleep. It must have been that 6th type of bread that did it. If you had stuck to ONLY 5 types of bread, you would have been OK. That reminded me of one time that this co-worker and I went to eat at Quiznos Sandwich for lunch. He had a HUGE Footlong Sandwich, Chips and a Cookie. Later, he didn't feel too good. He seriously goes, "I think it was that Cookie I had. I shouldn't have had it." ๐Ÿ˜† I was like, "HELLO!!! Don't you think the Footlong Sandwich perhaps contributed to your being stuffed?" :jester: YIKES! :yikes: Cilantro! :yuck: Can't stand the smell and taste of Cilantro.

Love those Deviled Eggs too. They made me late though! Had the darndest time peeling the shell off. They were'nt cooperating at all! There's a really easy way of peeling the shell off by holding the egg under a running faucet…but that's if you have a garbage disposal. I don't so it was one tiny piece of shell at a time so as not to tear the white. Then I had all the halves stuffed and went to wrap the plate and I knocked one egg off on the floor…the dogs had a nice treat. Then I couldn't find my keys. Usually I put them on the chair by the front door. They weren't there! Another half hour went by and finally found them. I was an hour late to the brunch and everyone was already watching the movie. Oh well…it was still all good. I like cilantro…sometimes…and not too much.

Happy Thanks Giving!Sorry to be late for a commenting, I was flying back on November 27th and, as you mentioned on my post, still feel like a zombie. Still on Tokyo time :faint:I hope you enjoyed celebration :yes:

Hi Darko:No need to be sorry. I know how you feel. You'll be less of a zombie by New Year's……….no, just kidding, of course………….in a few more days you should be fine. And yes, I enjoyed the celebration.

23. Captivevet says:

Nothing wrong with a good nap, Pam!:zzz:

I'm a little late on this post for Thanksgiving…but I will take some of that breakfast pizza. Sounds very good. :up:

Tyler: I try to take a short one every day.Ed: It is very good. I don't exactly follow the original recipe from Pillsbury anymore. I did the first few times but now I leave out a step and the temp is slightly different.

26. Captivevet says:

I don't know why I got up so early this AM, but I was lying in the bed wide awake. So, I got up.:coffee:

'meditation'…:lol: Perfect!

28. Captivevet says:

Unless I start to snore, I call it "meditation".:lol:

Same here. Just heard an explosion a few blocks away. Heard one last week at around the same time too. Gotta go outside and check it out.

Call a bomb squad before. Just in case ๐Ÿ˜€

You know, that's a possibility. There is one called an M80 that sounds more like an explosion.

Darko, I have no idea what these explosions are. Last night, again I went outside and there were no flames or smoke. No sirens either. :confused:

Firecrackers maybe?

34. Captivevet says:

Could be a "one pot" meth lab blowing up!:no:

That's a possibility too. My area has changed in the 12 years I've lived here. But why no sirens?

36. Captivevet says:

The cops don't care. I used to live on a street in Columbus, OH, that was nicknamed "AK 47 Street". There were gunshots on that street every night. The cops never came unless there was a casualty. Truth.:alien:

Every American who wants to live long should wear a bullet-proof jacket,eh? haha. (not practical on the beach,is it?)

So far I've had good experience with the cops anytime I've called them. They are here in five mintues.Beach? Where's the beach in Arizona. I want to go.:D Don't bullet-proof bests weigh 30 or 40 pounds?

39. Captivevet says:

They come in different levels of weight, depending on the stopping power that you need.:knight:

40. Captivevet says:

I have actually considered it.:alien:

41. thatgirl says:

I always thought breakfast pizza was pizza what was left over and you eat it for breakfast, I learn something new now. Hmm but left over pizza for breakfast dosnt really sound right to me, I need a name Hmm

A Margharita would suit you,Mel? Glad you're bang. haha.

You're right,Pam. With a lot of grated cheese on top then. And a glass of red wine (Chianti).haha (Once does not harm!)

"Stopping power"…Now that's a scary thought Tyler. I found out what the explosion was the other night. It was someone's gas water heater which caused a fire. Funny, I heard no sirens.Mell: Nothing wrong with left over pizza for breakfast. I have it sometimes. Only thing is, the crust isn't as nice if you put it in the microwave the next day. Same with the breakfast pizza. It's best the time you make it. I guess I should just take the extra time and put it in the oven for ten minutes so the crust will be crispy. Fif: I've never had a margharita for breakfast but have had a mimosa or a bloody mary. They are much healthier because of the juice in them.:D

I know what you mean Tyler. It's 12:30 pm here….lunchtime! Off to make something.

46. Captivevet says:

I am SO hungary and here I am reading about Pizza!:no:

47. Captivevet says:

๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Click here for more License-Plates Graphics!

…..DOGS for the Captain and one big beer,please! haha.

49. thatgirl says:

Hey paint would you mind if stick you in cupboard and you can make me pizza for breakfast every day i get up. I make sure the cupboard and no spider in there and if you really want I let you have shelf to put your paints and art stuff on, do you like this offer ?