The Wound Lies Open

Clance (Unasia) posted a poem called Deceptions Hill: http://my.opera.com/Unasia/blog/2008/10/23/deceptions-hill?cid=6268271

His poem reminded me of a poem I wrote 40 years ago.

The Wound Lies Open

The wound lies open
Oozing heartbreak and despair.
The attacker continues scratching
With nary a care.

You reach out blindly
For a kind, loving heart
But nothing’s ever there
But a stinkin’ ole fart.

Why then is there hope
When all around is remorse;
And no one gives a damn
Though you cry till you’re hoarse?

Because that is human nature
And that will never die,
For hope is the last resort
To keep sane the mind’s eye.

© December 1968 by pjs aka PainterWoman

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to The Wound Lies Open

"I resemble that remark." 😆 Thanks Clance. I've several from back then….some are a little too telling….and I'll never post. I was sort of down on society at that time.

"But a stinkin’ ole fart."I resemble that remark."For hope is the last resortTo keep sane the mind’s eye." this is a telling tale. I like it very mucho

3. Cynthia23 says:

Hi Pam! Hope things are better. Hahahhaa … yes hope! :up: I am sure they are. I can read it in your words. Nice piece.

😆 Hi Cynthia. Yeah things are much better forty years later. I've grown up…..I think. Although I still have my moments when I can get riled up.

getting older has always the plus side,and I am not talking about clothes sizes!!:lol:I am glad you are in a better place Pam :heart:

Me too Angeliki.:happy:But Tyler, I didn't know you 40 years ago.:D If I remember correctly the time I wrote this, I was a secretary in a law firm. All the lawyers were old, to me anyways. Every single one of them were conniving womanizers. I didn't even know what that was back then, I just knew I didn't feel comfortable working overtime and having to walk six blocks at night downtown to my car. I was fired. All the secretaries were supposedly to take turns staying late. I was not a team player was their reasoning for firing me.

7. Captivevet says:

I myself am an old gas passer!

8. Captivevet says:

I think you did the right thing. Your instincts about those fellows was probably correct. In my career as a trucker, I had at different times, two female relief drivers. I was always correct in my treatment of them, and when the day came that they had to move up, they didn't want to go.Sex is a neat thing. But if you don't treat people with respect, you end up with nothing. No friends, nothing.

I like your stuff. You've got more in the drawers? Wouldn't mind reading more.

Pam your a smart cookie, I doubt anyone get over on you unless you let them.And you should post more of your writing, you just plain out have skillz.

Tyler: Yeah, I did the right thing. It was just a few years later I found out how notorious that law firm was. Allan: Thanks. Yes, I've got a few more. I'm surprised when I read them because they sound so wise, yet I really knew nothing then. I'll try to dredge them up. I certainly was not as prolific as say, Loku or Clance and others. Clance: I've been an airhead two times in my life so I guess that would count for letting someone get one over on me. I was stupid.

12. Captivevet says:

Hopefully you have some happy stuff~!

Tyler, yes, I have some happy ones that I've posted. But some of my poems are not happy ones. They help me get rid of stuff that is bothering me so I don't dwell on it. My painting does the same thing. That's why the average person looking for a painting to put over their sofa would never buy some of my paintings. Many are not pretty little pictures. Oh, I do have pretty paintings as well but the art market is inundated with assembly line art that sells for $20 at what they call 'starving artist sales'. We have them every once in a while at a hotel in Scottsdale. Michael Caine and Salley Fields were in a movie about that years back. I forget the name of it. Gotta look it up.

Click here for more Halloween Graphics!

Best wishes for happiness,Pam.

Fif, very cool graphics link. Melissa would like that too.

16. Captivevet says:

The one he sent me was very creepy.

Tyler: yes it was creepy. I don't mind looking at one creepy picture but I would never watch a whole movie of it. There was a show on TV last night called 'Fringe' that I thought was going to be an interesting Science Fiction. I'm thinking it was the beginning of a series. It was Sci Fi alright, but I turned it off after the first ten minutes. It was too creepy. Maria: Thank you. Some of the poems I have, I wrote in my twenties. I know I wrote when I was even younger, in my teens, but I am too disorganized and haven't found them. I know they are around here someplace.

18. shipka45 says:

Nice and deep feeling poem Pamella…and as I see we began to write nearly on same ages….:)

The wound lies openPerhaps a few stiches and an antibiotic injection at the dotor's office will make it better? No, probaby not. 🙂

20. thatgirl says:

Funny how can creepy can turn people off. My mum cant stand seeing medical pursuers in tv shows even if they blur it out. If see in movie a guy get shot or punch she say its creepy and dont understand why they have show it. My painting can come across as very creepy the ones i pull from dreams can be quite nasty and morbid and try my best not show them to poeople because they look at em think something might be wrong with I. So yeah creepy i kinda like

Melissa: Yeah, as much as I love the CSI shows and all the other forensic shows, I'm like your mum. I don't look when they show parts of an autopsy. I'm usually having my evening tea and all of a sudden they hold up an inside body part:eyes: …..gross. The few creepy paintings I have are with snakes or make believe people who are half animal/half human….all from dreams or just my imagination.Ed, I have performed the stitches on myself….no injections needed! :yikes: I could say my paintings and poems are the stitches.

22. thatgirl says:

Arh gulp it down Hmm that cool at lest it come out the other end HeHe

More like inject into my mouth by way of a mini-straw. 🙂

24. thatgirl says:

Hmm that really depends i say good part dose come from dreams with my imagination help fill in parts i dont really recall

25. thatgirl says:

when you say inject do you mean with needle and that ?

I inject myself with Jack Daniels on occasion when feeling very despondant…:)The art and the poems will be with you your entire life. Not necessarily true of other things! :down: :down:

27. thatgirl says:

LoL and beer such a nasty drink

It's like they say about beer — you never buy it, you only rent it.

29. Captivevet says:

Happy Halloween!

30. Weatherlawyer says:

THEME FOR ENGLISH BBy Langston HughesThe instructor said, Go home and write a page tonight. And let that page come out of you— Then, it will be true. I wonder if it's that simple? I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem. I went to school there, then Durham, then here to this college on the hill above Harlem. I am the only colored student in my class. The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas, Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y, the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator up to my room, sit down, and write this page: It's not easy to know what is true for you or me at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: hear you, hear me—we two—you, me, talk on this page. (I hear New York too.) Me—who? Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love. I like to work, read, learn, and understand life. I like a pipe for a Christmas present, or records—Bessie, bop, or Bach. I guess being colored doesn't make me NOT like the same things other folks like who are other races. So will my page be colored that I write? Being me, it will not be white. But it will be a part of you, instructor. You are white— yet a part of me, as I am a part of you. That's American. Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me. Nor do I often want to be a part of you. But we are, that's true! As I learn from you,I guess you learn from me— although you're older—and white— and somewhat more free. This is my page for English B. 1951 Keith's poetry archive. Keith's favorite poems.http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~keith/poems/English_B.htmlI wonder what style that is. I have one a bit like it. I'll see if I can find it.

All I can think of is 'blank verse'. I don't know the names of the other styles….something else I've forgotten from high school. Loku writes a ton of poetry. He might know. And I do believe there are a couple other people on here who are, or have been, teachers.

32. Weatherlawyer says:

I found an old disk from when I used to write serious stuff. That ode to Red Cloud is on it.I thought it apt. I didn't know he was another Grey Owl when I wrote it.

33. Weatherlawyer says:

Found it:Poet on a StringThere’s a smile on the greasy face of the bloke underneath my carHis thinning hair, dirty jeans and old boots say it allHe turns from rags to rags and to sum up wipes his handsAnd says to me“Well I certainly hope you are not going far”Then he pressed a button and let the old car downI guess it’s gone about as far as it has been“I hate to tell you you’ve been riding scrapAnd you’ll be lucky to make it to the other side of town”I got in from the wrong side; moved over and turned the keyThe engine fired first go and he smiled and turned awayI was in his office when we heard the engine dieI gave him two small coins as he waived his fee.There’s a scrap yard across the other side of townThat offered me ten quid with nothing else to sayYou meet all sorts of people when you need an handThis time it was my turn to smile and turn someone downBut he’d have had his tenner back before he’d raise the lidThe price of scrap has fallen and I have to say that’s roughBut when the pennies in your pocket are all that you can feelAnd in this backwater and the way I look?Who’s he trying to kid?And the way I feel, I feel the way I’m going is going to make me roughWhen you are that far down you can’t help but start looking upWhen your not going where you’re going it’s because you’re still hereOr already there and if you are that’s toughWhen there’s no where else to go it means just about the sameThat’s life on the roadIt has its momentsBut sometimesHell wellYou’d gone about as far as you can goWhen you’ve got where you came to.So I found myself a nice warm hedge and started looking upThere are lots of falling stars up thereIf any are looking downAs they fall do they contemplate eternity?And just before they burn up did any think of me?First thing in the morning I pushed my car to a hill, shoved it into second and I was awayI closed the window to the smell of burning.I didn’t know that what was burning then was meThere’s a lot of smoke behind me; ahead, cars flash their lightsThe penny drops and I know it’s going to be my lucky dayWell I suppose its no use crying or complaining that somebodiesHave paid this country to take away its treesWhat else could have happened to our forestry?I should have seen it coming and got out of the way of the axeI always was too late to change, to meet my needsToo late I’ve left the leaving with much too far to goAnd too many men better than me left first to show the wayThe lesson is when leaving don’t leave it late and there is nothing left to leaveOr half way gone is all you’ll have left to goI asked some bloke that ran a pub, if I could clean his floorI got the job and all the peanuts I could eatAnd loaned a suit from some poor chap in hospitalSo I could watch the doorActually I enjoyed the job and all the dregs were freeThe long hours for not much pay made me feel quite at homeThe work wasn’t hard I could soon get used to itThe perks were with almost all the fights starring meIt was good while it lasted then business got slackThat’s the problem when you’re having fun and you think you’ve fitted inMine host said, “A lot of my customers are going elsewhere” andThere’s too many holes in your suit” and “You’re looking threadbare"I felt somehow that he’d like to give me the sackThat’s life; you get a life and then it gets you backSome travelling singer is going to come along and find my songAnd having chopped it up will make his fortuneIt might even be me that sells it for a song tra laThat’s how it’s gone all along Fame I suppose of a sortWhat’s new?I need some shoesBut now I’ve got a car again that goesSo it’s off to the wild blue yonder again I supposeI was explaining to a girl in a shop, how it is when a species goes down.(She smiled politely and a little embarrassed I thinkI don’t get too much chance to speak too much unless I write it firstAnd then I talk too much like in this story of mine which for a poemDoesn’t rhyme too often and I keep losing it’s rhythmAnd don’t ask me if it scans but at least its true)I put it down to experience for that is my experienceShe doesn’t appear to be getting me my cup of teaShe’s talking to her friend who takes over and I pay for what I wantBut what I want is for something I wouldn’t want to payThat’s like what I was trying to say how species go downNot that I expected it from that girl and meCause I know I’m only good for old cars, no jobs and lousy poetryAs I leave the shop I wonder what I should have said I didn’t sayOr was it something that I shouldn’t have said that makes them act that way?My people skills are not all they could beEither way she’s not coming out with meAnd so on I supposeTo an happy ending?Who knows?

34. Captivevet says:

:beer:

35. Weatherlawyer says:

I was just going to quip that I'm on the wagon till I get my van fixed.Then I saw something on the news about the Republican party barracking Obama with a racialist song.I missed the article but no doubt I'll be able to catch up while the chimp is enjoying his last vacation. (Be a shame to waste the last few days making things worse wouldn't it?:jester: )It doesn't matter how bad the TV shows are, they will never be able to keep up with real life.

36. Captivevet says:

Life often mirrors a bad tv show.

I saw that on the news about the song. Some things are just dumb and/or in poor taste and better taken with a grain of salt. Now that it's been given so much publicity, it'll probably be a sell out.

38. Weatherlawyer says:

A sell out is a political coup these days.You'd be a candidate for a bottle of brandy and a single bullet in a pistol, in your office if this was the good old days.

A single bullet in a pistol? Whatever for?I don't like brandy and I rarely drink.

40. Weatherlawyer says:

I didn't.I said that if you were a seller outer you would be expected to commit suicide if you wanted to keep the appearance that you were a gentleman.It is a cultural thing that is found world wide HariKiri for example. But even the people in the bible who commited such treachery committed suicide in recompense.So it is a well known condition, or the club membership fees. One does not fecerp.Never mind all that depressing stuff, how are you this foggy morn? In need of an hug I think?

Why on earth would you say I'd be a candidate for that?

42. Weatherlawyer says:

To shoot ones brains out in disgrace and apology.

43. Weatherlawyer says:

((((((((((PainterWoman))))))))))

44. Weatherlawyer says:

(Men will never understand women, nor need to whilst a hug and an apology will sooth the parts that flowers and chocolates won't reach.)

45. AOTEAROAnz says:

Another gem Pamela :up: =)2009! HAPPY NEW YEAR! :hat:

Weather, Since I am leaving shortly and will be gone for a few days, I figured I'd better respond to this so you wouldn't be left wondering what the hell I'm thinking. It's really got nothing to do with understanding women. It has to do with having conversations on the internet. If we'd been having a conversation face to face, there probably wouldn't have been this miscommunication as I would have heard certain intonations in your voice. So much for the internet.

Henry, Thanks a bunch. Happy New Year to you too. Before I leave for a few days, I had to add a couple of things to my last post of the year……a link to a poem by Clance and a song by the best ever heavy metal singer, Ronnie James Dio. I doubt anyone would suspect I still like heavy metal music.

48. Captivevet says: