The art of Printmaking

The results of this process are very enjoyable to me, however, to continue, I would have to have a small press which can be very expensive. The one at the school was about $4000. There are smaller, table top presses and they run about $500. I could also continue this by rubbing w/ a special tool but the results are not exactly what I want. I can't press hard enough it seems.

The artist will paint their image or design w/ printer's ink or paint onto a piece of plexi plate or aluminum plate. The plate is placed on the press table, then damp paper is placed on top of the inked or painted plate, a piece of newsprint placed on top of that to protect any ink from getting on the three different thicknesses of a of type padding that is the last layer. Then you turn the handle and the table runs underneath the press. Usually you will get one good print and a ghost….sometimes even a second ghost. The ghost prints can be drawn on with graphite, color pencils or painted on w/ watercolor to embellish them further.

Relief printmaking is also a fun process whereby you draw onto a piece of wood or lineoleum, then cut away with a special gouging tool the part to have no color. I love the results from this as well but the gouging and cutting eventually causes cramping in my hands and fingers. I must take many breaks when doing this.

One of my favorite artist printmakers is Kathe Kollwitz. Here is one of her self portraits.

I did two monoprints to pay homage to another artist, Edvard Munch, and his painting The Scream, which was stolen from a museum then later found.

Here is one of my Homage to the Scream monoprints:

106 Responses to The art of Printmaking

1. Captivevet says:

Hail El Presidente! I got my coffee going. TGIF.:coffee:

2. noah counte says:

I don't know, Scott. You may (I'm not sure) need a law degree to become an agent, but I think you can work for the FBI in a number of other capacities. I'm pretty sure that they hire more accountants than any other single employer, save the IRS.In the late 90s, starting salary was $36K, regardless of where you were stationed. Most of the FBI's workforce is in Washington DC, followed by NYC. Two very expensive places to live. I'm guessing that salary climbs quickly, once it's established that you aren't going to wash out in the first year or two.You can read about the compensation package for FBI employees here (starting with number 17).

3. noah counte says:

Coffee for the masses!

4. Captivevet says:

A pot of coffee in every chicken!No wait! That isn't right!:jester:

5. noah counte says:

All your coffee are belong to us!

Oh, nevermind, I think I just got it. Kind of like when I once said (after a glass of wine) that I was no "ching spriken"……:D

7. noah counte says:

Hahah. It was William Archibald Spooner's birthday just a couple of days ago.

:confused: Are we chickens?

Well, a bappy hirthday to Mr. Spooner. Now I know why my kids never took me seriously when I was scolding them…..probably because I'd be laughing on the floor with them when I realized the goofy thing I'd said.

10. noah counte says:

Must be hard to be serious as a kid, when you have such a munny fother.

"munny fother" πŸ˜†

Well, your munny fother is trying to nake a tap! :irked:

13. Captivevet says:

You guys are killing me… No really…:jester:

14. noah counte says:

Your docus is fizzying.

15. nopanic says:

Ttop Shis :irked: IΒ΄m gettin all foncused :ko:

16. nopanic says:

:faint:

so if you go to alabama and you're level 15 , step 10, you could make the hefty figure of more than $136,000. i was a little surprised at how little some of them make. thanks for the info mr. librarian πŸ™‚

18. noah counte says:

My pleasure. I'm glad that satisfying my curiosity satisfies someone else now and again, to. πŸ˜†

19. Captivevet says:

Just gimme the money, OK? Just got back from the fair. Posted some pictures if you are interested.

20. noah counte says:

Money? Hahahahaha. I'll check it out – I've mercifully managed to miss the county fair this year…

21. Captivevet says:

:coffee: I went to the "Free Fair" in 1972. I told them that if I was still alive in 30 years, I might come back again.:lol:

22. Captivevet says:

Which state are you in. It is amazing how big some of those hogs can actually get!:rolleyes:

23. noah counte says:

The State Fair starts in a couple of weeks. It's always worth the trip to see the prize hog. That's a lot of bacon!

24. noah counte says:

Indiana. Our State Fair is one of the biggest in the country. And the hogs are pretty good-sized, too! πŸ˜†

25. Captivevet says:

Indiana. Yep, been to and thru Indiana and Indianapolis, many times in years past.

26. noah counte says:

You should stay awhile! I don't know where you live, but a few weeks with us will make it look a lot better than you thought it could. πŸ˜†

27. Captivevet says:

I live in Grand Rapids, Mi. now. I lived in Columbus Oh. for 18 years before I moved up here last year.

28. noah counte says:

I've looked at southern Michigan in the past couple of months. It's not a good time to be looking for work in Michigan, any way you slice it.

29. Captivevet says:

You are right about that. I have a little part-time job, and it was all I could get after almost six months of looking.

30. noah counte says:

Yeah. I've had to broaden my search – it's tight here, too.

31. Captivevet says:

I don't miss trucking very much, but I do miss the money; I can tell you that for free.

32. noah counte says:

Good thing, because I'm tapped out.

33. Captivevet says:

I am always good for a sandwich. It is funny, but I have never said no to anybody that was really hungery. I have been hustled a few times because of that, but I figure: it's on them not on me. :coffee:

Hmmmm….I could say I am tapped out as well. Even though I have some investments in a retirement account, I have to be very frugal because this has to last me for the next twenty years. My ex, who, believe it or not, is my financial advisor, advises me to get a job at Jack in the Box or McDonalds to have extra money for house repairs and such. He thinks I have taken too much out this first year I had access to it, for much needed home repairs. I tell him I see no old women working in those places. I refuse to go round and round with him on the subject. He has changed somewhat after his two heart surgeries but he is still the same in many other respects. He will never be tapped out. He has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it. Yet, he is still the most penny pinching, crabby man I've ever known. I guess I will never understand that.

35. Captivevet says:

It sounds like he has the disease. Every now and then you read about some old man found dead in his house from starvation or other misadventure. When they clean out the house they find boxes of money.

36. Captivevet says:

i could be wrong, but stingyness seems to be a trait people just can't get rid of, even if they want to. i think it comes from some childhood experience of really wanting… being deprived. and from then on the attitude is like scarlett ohara, thrusting her turnip to the sky and shouting to the universe, "i'll never be hungry again."i remember when my father, unwilling to go back to law after failing in a grand venture called 'kingswood films' in jamaica. five million dollars poorer, he was typing for a living in new york. one night he served us (my brother and i) lettuce leaves sprinkled with sugar.but he always put a good light on things and you knew he was coming because he always whistled some tune as he got close to home.anyway, i tell the story to highlight that it's all about character. and who is responsible for that?my brother and i had the same father, but my brother is as stingy as simon legree and your ex. i have been known to foot the bill at a restaurant with friends even when i didn't have the money. let me explain; i mean it wasn't there when i wrote the check, but i moved mountains the next day to cover it.so no one is to blame…. it's all just 'dyed in the wool'

Scott, I'm not sure why he is the way he is. His mother gave her three boys whatever they wanted so he certainly was not deprived. His mother didn't work outside the home and his father was rarely seen because he was busy with The Business. I won't say what that was….only that it was in Chicago. Once a week, usually for Sunday dinner, his father would show up and hand money over to his mother. Whatever they asked for, they got and all of them went to college and got master's degrees. He said to me recently that he was always afraid of not having enough. I asked enough for what….because when we were married, the house and two cars were paid for and he had almost a million bucks. I asked him how much is enough….he said he didn't know.

39. noah counte says:

Enough is never enough for some people.

But you are right, no one is to blame. It's just the way it is.

41. Captivevet says:

Sam Walton (WalMart) rode around in an old pickup truck and wore bib overalls. It's his heirs who are the damn greedy ones.

nothing is enough for the man for whom enough is too little.

43. anonymous says:

Sammy writes:I love your work I am studying art at college but I am not very good at mono prints I also study photography & Graphic design please go to my blog at http://sammythorleyphotography.blogspot.com/At secondary school I did Applied art you can see my Patten Project at http://sammythorley.blogspot.com/I did a project on logos for Shropshire's logo at http://wemflags.blogspot.com/ & there is a few more pieces on http://sthorley.blogspot.com/ Hope You like my work..

44. Captivevet says:

Are you up early or up late? Just started my first cup.:coffee:

Woke up at 3:30 am this morning. :irked: I'm off to make my second cup.

Thank you Sammy. I will check out the blogs later today. It's early for me and I need more coffee.

47. Captivevet says:

Dawn patrol for sure! I got a skype call from Norfolk, UK, this morning. I am very international now!:coffee:

a wonderful entry Pam,:up:during my latest trip to Egypt, I did visit a very old relief printmaking House. The Egyptians were the first to use the method and later the Chinese followed by the Japanese. The most advanced method is by using linoleum mounted on wood these days , it is softer and easier to craft instead of the wood… Today they keep the relief printmaking for the art itself only.After the 15th century the printing of the books became such an art…I wish we had more Albrecht Durer these days! He was loosing his sleep every time he had to carve a new project on wood.My friend Gypsy adds collage and pictures in her art πŸ™‚ She is here with scholarship from Venezuela. Very gifted artist.Pamela, the work of Albrecht Durer can be seen at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (if you even be in the city )you might enjoy this link too :heart:http://www.davidrumsey.com/amica/amico1316423-56271.html#recordthanks for directing me here :yes:

Thank you Angeliki. Oh yes, Durer's work was wonderful. So detailed. I'm afraid my fingers and hands would not be able to do such fine detail. Maybe if I'd learned this process years before. The Japanese and Chinese prints are so gorgeous with all the colors. I learned to do a three color process and a six color process. Very time consuming and exacting. This I would not do again. I'd much rather add color to a print.

my brother in law is a gemologist/jewelery designer, he was also taught in college the six color process, only in his case it was for information and fun. He found it very challenging! (I LOVE the Asian work! I hope I see more in a posible tip there one day! )** off topic(but still on art) :(about my brother in law)Dimitri's work requires lots of wax use… He is only 49 now and he claims that the body is brutal wit the age passing. His eyes still very good but the fingers on the detailed work are refusing to follow when he carves.. His two boys , same age with my kids, do not feel interested the least to continue his amazing work… he has designed and worked for the Vatican and when a young child he worked on jewels of the then Iranian long gone leaders… another fascinating area of art..