The mighty tree stump

I wrote the following poem last August while attempting to dig out a tree stump in my back yard. It had been cut down because it was diseased and was a nuisance because it kept sending little shoots up all over the yard and even under the house into the front yard. These shoots had very sharp stickers that I found out about the hard way. It also would shed its leaves in the winter then drop tiny uneatable pears in the spring. The dogs and birds would eat the pears but, to me, they didn’t taste very good….kind of bitter. I was told that the old lady who lived in my house for 40 yrs brought the tree from Europe. I do remember eating some tiny pears in Barcelona. They were called nesperones and were tender, sweet and delicious. …

THE MIGHTY TREE STUMP

Here it is
In all it’s glory
The proverbial tree stump
From my well told story.

Naysayers’ nay
That it wasn’t real
I couldn’t care less
And dug it out with zeal.

Five foot wide
And three foot deep
I dug and I dug
Even in the heat.

The roots were hacked
With my trusty axe
Never dreamed each
Would take so many whacks.

The dirt in the roots
Was like concrete
But I picked away
And that ain’t no treat.

Tugged it out
An inch at a time
Got the damn thing out
With some good strong twine

On my home made ramp
Pulled with all my might
Mission accomplished
Even before last light.

In Arizona, the temp in August is well into the triple digits(110 to 115) so I’d work on it from 6 to 9 am then maybe a bit after 7pm. It took me two or three weeks I think, I don’t remember anymore. There is a website I used to post on and chat with people and right about that time, August of 07, the site had gotten pretty nasty and mean and a couple of people told me what I should do with the tree stump and others didn’t believe me. So I wrote a poem and posted pics to prove it. Then, I thought, why should I prove anything to these ‘yay hoos’ (as my dad would say). Needless to say, I don’t post there anymore.

The tree stump is now cleaned off of bark although I now think I should have left the bark on. Eventually, I will coat it w/ marine varnish. Someone suggested linseed oil instead of varnish but I think the oil will make it darker. Not sure what I’m going to do with it. I have a perfect size 3/4 in thick piece of glass that will go on top of it for an outdoor table.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The mighty tree stump

cool… you worked very hard. the poem shows you got something out of it besides a tree stump with roots.

twas the stump or you I think you knewI think it did to.:D I bet it will make a very cool table

:happy: Thanks guys. It was truly a feat if I say so myself. Digging down to the very bottom root, the main source, was hard and time consuming but the hardest thing was pulling it up the ramp. I rigged a pulley, sort of, by draping the rope around a low branch of the nearby sumac tree, then pulling the stump an inch or so up, placing bricks underneath so it wouldn't slide back down, then repeating the process. I was able to do that because the rope was really long and I was close enough to kick the bricks in.

just a little tip. in case you run into another gargantuan root.two things you can do next time. use a 'comealong' on the tree. then there is no need to kick bricks. the 'torque' is transpferred to the device which has gears and a lever. (it costs very little.)the other is a large pulley on the tree. that converts the force necessary to move the stump to half. one more pulley at the stump end cuts it in half again. a child could pull it up. :happy:

5. Captivevet says:

You had best seal the wood with varnish or some other sealant or your stump will become the home of "carpenter" ants. I know from sad experience.

6. momable says:

Neat poem. Did you ever make the stump into a table?

Thanks Elly. Have not put any kind of sealer or varnish on it yet but have the perfect piece of glass for it. I seem to have many unfinished projects. The heat has gotten to me this summer.

8. momable says:

My hubby wants to move to Las Vegas! It is hot there, too.Don't know if we ever will get there or if it is a pipe dream; but I will insist on air conditioning!

A/C is a must. I do think Vegas is about the same as Arizona, or maybe just a few degrees lower.

10. Captivevet says:

You can live in the desert without A/C, but not in a modern building.

"You can live in the desert without A/C, but not in a modern building."That is certainly true, however, I wouldn't want to live amongst the scorpions in the rocks either. Now if I lived in a building built by Paulo Soleri, I wouldn't need A/C. There's a place up I-17 called Arcosanti built of thick concrete walls. It is built in such a way that the sun does not come in directly in any of the windows or doors and was surprisingly comfortable inside. Bill Bruder is another architect I'd have design a home for me…..if I had the money. Concrete and corrugated metal. I've an artist friend who lives in one of his houses. It does have A/C but all the duct work is exposed inside the house. Really an interesting effect. She has a swamp cooler as well and uses it part of the year. It's really an interesting house. I wish I had pictures.

12. momable says:

Please get photos. :up:Well, we are not Mr. and Mrs. Moneybucks; so a regular house probably. Maybe I can put more bricks in 😆

13. Captivevet says:

The old "pueblo" type of buildings are pretty comfortable also. The ones I went inside of in Texas, were remarkabley cool. Of course their walls were 2 feet thick.

14. Captivevet says:

You could build an airlock type of door, inside the glass one. That is what they do in Michigan, to keep the cold out. It would keep heat out also.

"Of course their walls were 2 feet thick"I think that makes a huge difference. All the homes in my small neighborhood were made of Mexican handmade, adobe brick almost fifty years ago. There are imperfections in all of the bricks but I think they are beautiful. Unfortunately, a few neighbors covered them up with siding over the years. Half the walls inside my house are exposed brick and many people covered their walls with drywall. Of course, I can't say I don't use the A/C. If I could enclose the back patio and get rid of the glass patio door, it might make a difference. The glass gets very hot.

16. Captivevet says:

Considered just removing it and putting in a regular door?

I will consider that. It needs replacing or fixing or something. I must lift it to move it. A royal pain especially when I go in and out 10 or 20 times a day. The track and wheels are shot.This is the next expense I'm saving for.

18. momable says:

Pueblo, sounds nice.

19. Captivevet says:

People have lived in the desert for centuries, and they didn't cook.

I've thought of removing it but the space is big so it'd have to have a wall put on either side if I put in a regular size door. The space is big enough for French doors but then there'd be no place for the doggie door. Any of them is going to cost some bucks that I don't have right now. I guess I should just stop complaining about it till I can actually do something.

21. Captivevet says:

What I envision, is some sort of outer chamber, with a door on it and then the glass doors.